A possible, yet radical solution to easy modding

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
limner

Re: A possible, yet radical solution to easy modding

Post by limner »

petri wrote:The markets for this kind of DLC with no new playable content are pretty small and I don't think they would keep us going for very long. A fully playable expansion with e.g. new monsters, a new dungeon and a new wallset, assets that can be used for modding too, would be a completely different thing :)

also this is a good idea: a new dungeons for player with new features that can be used for the editor.
FloorBelow

Post by FloorBelow »

Considering we aren't alllowed to do retextures, I hope we can at least get a variation of the skeleton that doesn't have the Grimrock logo all over it.
HaunterV

Post by HaunterV »

Well if they add steam workshop support then this idea has merit.... but yeah each dlc pack should come with a mini adventure say 3-5 levels showing off said new content.... possibly wit the ability to import your existing party if they made it out of the dungeon?
Grimrock Community 'FrankenDungeon 2012. Submit your entry now!: http://tinyurl.com/cnupr7h
SUBMIT YOUR ASSETS! Community Asset Pack (C.A.P.): http://tinyurl.com/bqvykrp
Behold! The HeroQuest Revival!: http://tinyurl.com/cu52ksc
ShottyMonster

Post by ShottyMonster »

I would rather not have to pay for DLC after release of a game, it seems to be the norm nowadays which kind of sucks.

I think the devs have a sticky situation, if they let modders have free roam to create new models, sound files, textures etc then they may find it very tricky to sell DLC, on the other hand if they don't allow this then people may become increasingly annoyed at having to shell out $5 here or £10 there for additional content in the form of dungeon expansions etc etc...

As lex said on page 1 of this thread, I would much rather shell out a singular £10 for a fully fledged expansion (introducing new scripts for use in the editor etc) as long as the timing is good (i.e. not 1 month after release).

anyone agree?
lord_boron

Post by lord_boron »

ShottyMonster wrote:I would rather not have to pay for DLC after release of a game, it seems to be the norm nowadays which kind of sucks.

I think the devs have a sticky situation, if they let modders have free roam to create new models, sound files, textures etc then they may find it very tricky to sell DLC, on the other hand if they don't allow this then people may become increasingly annoyed at having to shell out $5 here or £10 there for additional content in the form of dungeon expansions etc etc...

As lex said on page 1 of this thread, I would much rather shell out a singular £10 for a fully fledged expansion (introducing new scripts for use in the editor etc) as long as the timing is good (i.e. not 1 month after release).

anyone agree?
I agreed with that opinion on page 1. It would be better and the setup of the game seems like it's made with that in mind. But also I was thinking these Assets DLCs would be optional. You would only need them if you want to play a certain mod (I know it sounds limiting), but as I said, I don't think it would take to much time to make them, so they could be sold dirt cheap. Spend a few weeks on that, or a month, sell it for a buck or two. There are at least 20-30k people who would buy it. Ofc it may all be wishful thinking, that's why I said that I would love to hear what devs think about this to - is it doable, viable and does it take to much time to produce.
Crash

Post by Crash »

petri wrote:A fully playable expansion with e.g. new monsters, a new dungeon and a new wallset, assets that can be used for modding too, would be a completely different thing :)
I was hoping you would say this.
ShottyMonster wrote:people may become increasingly annoyed at having to shell out $5 here or £10 there for additional content in the form of dungeon expansions etc etc...
If they released a new dungeon 6 months from now for $10, are you saying that you think people would be too annoyed to buy it? I would pre-order the next five expansions right now if they would take my money.

Cheers
Bek

Post by Bek »

I'm guessing a few modders will be able to make their own dungeon sets and monsters (I hopefully will sometime, I'm confident I can - at least the dungeon set, haven't done any animation before). I'm sure there are other out there who have similar skills.
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Crash wrote:
petri wrote:A fully playable expansion with e.g. new monsters, a new dungeon and a new wallset, assets that can be used for modding too, would be a completely different thing :)
I was hoping you would say this.
ShottyMonster wrote:people may become increasingly annoyed at having to shell out $5 here or £10 there for additional content in the form of dungeon expansions etc etc...
If they released a new dungeon 6 months from now for $10, are you saying that you think people would be too annoyed to buy it? I would pre-order the next five expansions right now if they would take my money.

Cheers
+1 on this!!!
askjosh

Post by askjosh »

I think that they should hold a contest for people to create new art assets. All assets that are submitted would become property of almost human with the understanding that they may be used in an official expansion and may be used in free mods created by the modding community.

Almost human would also reserve the right to decide on and reject any submissions that did not meet their quality standard. only approved assets would be usable by the modding community.

This would be a win win for everyone involved. Almost human would be able to leverage the talent of several dedicated fans for next to nothing, those fans would get to see their work used in a future expansion and would get their name listed in the game credits, and the rest of us would get to see new free mods and paid expansions released at a faster rate than would normally be possible if almost human did all of the work by themselves.
HaunterV

Post by HaunterV »

askjosh wrote:I think that they should hold a contest for people to create new art assets. All assets that are submitted would become property of almost human with the understanding that they may be used in an official expansion and may be used in free mods created by the modding community.

Almost human would also reserve the right to decide on and reject any submissions that did not meet their quality standard. only approved assets would be usable by the modding community.

This would be a win win for everyone involved. Almost human would be able to leverage the talent of several dedicated fans for next to nothing, those fans would get to see their work used in a future expansion and would get their name listed in the game credits, and the rest of us would get to see new free mods and paid expansions released at a faster rate than would normally be possible if almost human did all of the work by themselves.

Sounds like there would be a lot of rejected nude monsters
Grimrock Community 'FrankenDungeon 2012. Submit your entry now!: http://tinyurl.com/cnupr7h
SUBMIT YOUR ASSETS! Community Asset Pack (C.A.P.): http://tinyurl.com/bqvykrp
Behold! The HeroQuest Revival!: http://tinyurl.com/cu52ksc