DLC

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Jim Fear

Re: DLC

Post by Jim Fear »

I would pay more than the base game for a dungeon from AH :)
I think people have a problem with DLC in games when it's an obvious cash grab. Seeing the amount of work you've put into the base game alone, I'm sure fans would trust DLC from you if/when you produce it.
RPGAlien

Post by RPGAlien »

Drax wrote: There's no excuse for zero-day DLC. If you spent development time before release creating it (and it was completed), why is it not in my copy?
Agree 100% !!

Halk wrote:As much as I've seen people say DLC is evil I've seen them in the same breath say expansions are not...
The difference is that DLC's are much smaller than expansions. A DLC could for example add horse armor, while an expansion would add an entirely new area along with quests, mobs, NPC's, new items (including horse armor) and so on.

murkscale wrote:
petri wrote:If by DLC you mean a new dungeon that you can buy from us, it depends on whether people want this or not. So far the consensus seems to be that DLCs are evil (for some reason unknown to me). Maybe we should have a poll about this...
I think I talk on the behalf of your entire playerbase when I say that giving us DLC would be more than just awesome, it'd be amazing!
- And fair seeing how we want you to get the money to expand on the game.
+1 Give us more spells, and mobs to slay with them while we explore new depths (or highs?) of Grimrock! Wouldn't mind paying another 10-15$ for that! :D
Ottyk

Post by Ottyk »

I would happily pay £3-£7 on a new dungeon with some of the features that Mount Grimrock is missing, such as shops. But on the other hand, the team are working on modding tools and the community made maps will probably fix all of those little niggles. You don't want to end up like Minecraft, where all the innovations have been done by modders so the updates are either pointless things like wolves and cats or reskinned mods like pistons :P
salientsoul

Post by salientsoul »

I would buy DLC from AH to expand LoG. I would buy that in a heartbeat. If the DLC cntent is up to par with the quality and attention AH put into the base game then you know it'd be worth it.
Halk

Post by Halk »

Looks like the poll isn't needed Petri - everybody wants to give you more money!

Ottyk, you're perhaps missing something with Minecraft. The game has been designed to allow that kind of modding to take place. So while you could criticise Mojang for being behind the curve with their updates... I don't necessarily agree - the victory for Minecraft is the way the game has been created has allowed mods to become so amazing.

As for LoG...

I'd like to see the expansions add in core content, and polished dungeons.

So for example we might get a natural sandstone cave type like set of textures, some troglodyte monsters, and some giant reptiles in one update, with a few more spells and perhaps a couple of skill trees. We'd also get a brand new dungeon which started off as a cave exploration using the new textures, and then broke through into an ancient dwarven ruin.

The next update might be an obsidian wall type textures, some dark elves, more spiders (just for the outcry!), with a few more spells and a couple of skill trees. And we'd get a brand new dungeon, perhaps even branching off from the last and taking the characters very deep into dangerous ground and up to level 45-50.

Those would be great on their own and people, including me, would love to play them. But in addition they would add additional content for modders to use in their own dungeon, building a library of core assets so that someone creating a custom dungeon didn't have to do everything from scratch.

I'd also like to see the developers do something I've never seen before (apart from with Civ4). Take the best of the user created content and add it as bonus material in a patch/update so that it becomes core material.
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

I definitely wouldn't mind DLC, but you need to make sure it's worth it. We need more of everything! More puzzles, classes, dungeons, tilesets, go! :D
Zeful

Post by Zeful »

Drax wrote: There's no excuse for zero-day DLC. If you spent development time before release creating it (and it was completed), why is it not in my copy?
Because that's not how software design works at all.
Halk

Post by Halk »

In slight defence of DLC... (but not much)...

When a game is finished and they Q&A it, and finally it goes gold and then some time later you can buy and play it... Between then and "zero day" it's quite possible for DLC to be created, even substantial DLC. However that's just not what's happened with Bioware stuff. We all know it's stuff cut out of the game and sold back to you. But it is possible that with LoG for example the 4 guys could have created a high level superdungeon with just 3 or 4 levels as a continuation of this dungeon between finishing the game and the game going on sale. They didn't of course, but if it had been done it could have been good zero day DLC :)
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Release-day DLC, however justifiable it is, simply doesn't sound good. They also encourage companies to push customers even further with more outrageous scams (See: Capcom) :|

I stay away from these kind of games and companies.

A DLC I'd love to see is something that's on par with a true "Expansion packs" of old. It needs to definitely be worth it. A substantial improvement and continuation of the base game.
Last edited by Jack Dandy on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halk

Post by Halk »

The Bioware DLC thing has made me stop buying their games...

However they *did* get it right with Neverwinter Nights 1. Each expansion added to the core game, and fan created modules could then use a larger pool of resources.