Using gates to your advantage.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Isaac

Re: Using gates to your advantage.

Post by Isaac »

TΛPETRVE wrote:
Isaac wrote:** Granted... It'd be nice if certain monsters (those with hands) had the option to pull on the chain too. :twisted:
Keep playing. At some point, you'll wish you kept your mouth shut ;) .

As far as the UI obstructing goes: That's why I use the number keys to open/close inventory screens. Not only does it work a lot faster than using the mouse, it also negates some horrible lag that occurs when swapping character inventories during battle and almost got me killed once or twice.
I've been play Lands of Lore today, and it's always been a missing component IMO; of LoL and EoB, and many others. If included it would surely see the situation where the party on one side keeps closing the door while the monster keeps opening it. To truly do it best, the game would have to implement locks on some doors. Grimrock already does this with switches to enable switches.
(Though I'm not suggesting they do this ~I certainly would not oppose it if they did).

Lag: I initially thought I was getting lag, but in some instance it was me clicking the wrong button on their portrait.
cybercobra

Post by cybercobra »

Isaac wrote:
HeavyMetalMonk wrote:So hit with weapons, don't fight in corridors, don't get cornered and keep sidestepping.

I'm almost finished level 9 and have never had to abuse the gates.
How is it abuse? What do you consider to be wrong with closing the gate on a slime or a crowern, snail ~or anything in the maze? Why wouldn't a group make use of a door for defense?

** Granted... It'd be nice if certain monsters (those with hands) had the option to pull on the chain too. :twisted:
the guys in lvl 10 can open gates
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

cybercobra wrote:
SpoilerShow
the guys in lvl 10 can open gates
That's really, really cool 8-) ; (but it should be in spoiler tags)...
SpoilerShow
I didn't know there was a level 10, and now I don't get to be shocked or surprised (as I'm sure they intended) when the guys on lvl 10 open the doors.
EvoluZion3

Post by EvoluZion3 »

+1 I always loved dropping gates on enemies, especially slow enemies, in Dungeon Master and CSB. That pleasant thud of heavy door on head...