Exp system feedback

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Saice

Re: Exp system feedback

Post by Saice »

ribaldron wrote: I am not sure if EXP is a completely limited resource or if I just haven't made it to that point yet, but this is always one of the most annoying parts of games like this.
As a side. Its not a limited resource but the areas you could grind out exp in are sort of boring. And really end game I was level 13 and had no issues with the boss fight I don't foresee extra levels making it much more easier then it already is.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
seebs

Re: Exp system feedback

Post by seebs »

The specializations don't really appeal to me much -- since I have to switch weapons often, anything spent on axes, maces, or swords feels like a poor choice, since I don't have nearly enough points to specialize more than a tiny bit.

Generally, if a system has Obviously Best things, that undermines the benefits of having a system. If anyone who doesn't take a given ability is permanently gimped, then why bother implementing all that other stuff?

DM's levelling did a good job of creating specializations implicitly, but if you really, really, wanted you could be a generalist. It'd just take forever. LoG creates a weird mix of strongly valuing specialization and requiring a few points spread out here and there. You really want 5 points in spellcraft just as a basic survival trait... after which it gives you very little but energy and willpower bonuses. (And since willpower only affects future energy gains, at high levels adding willpower is close to useless, I think?)

Many skills give you things of questionable value. Dexterity, for a mage? Yeah, what with all your weapon skills that you all the time, I guess. Strength? Well, I guess it gives you carrying capacity. Has anyone actually seriously played the game and put even a point into Staff Defense?

I would think that evening these out a bit would improve things a lot. More reasonable choices that are genuinely viable alternatives, not just obviously stupid to take, would give more replay value, for one thing.