Mages, Am I doing it wrong

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Drax

Re: Mages, Am I doing it wrong

Post by Drax »

Patchumz wrote:Scrolls are a waste of time usually, extremely scarce. Just manually figure out the spells with trial and error. I had all mine figured out by level 2-3.
How did you have the magic level to discover them all at level 3?
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Drax wrote:
Patchumz wrote:Scrolls are a waste of time usually, extremely scarce. Just manually figure out the spells with trial and error. I had all mine figured out by level 2-3.
How did you have the magic level to discover them all at level 3?
I pumped a single tree in all my mages. I didn't spread points around between different skill trees.
Pyros

Post by Pyros »

He probably meant the damage spells of one school, which generally requires 12-16points or something like that. I had Fireball very early too since I dumped all my points in fire besides the 2 in spellcraft for wisdom and the initial mage weapon.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Pyros wrote:He probably meant the damage spells of one school, which generally requires 12-16points or something like that. I had Fireball very early too since I dumped all my points in fire besides the 2 in spellcraft for wisdom and the initial mage weapon.
ALL the spells of 2 schools (Air and Ice), I ran with 2 mages ^^. After you figure out one or two, it's very easy to figure out the rest of the mage trees.

Plus the 2 Spellcraft spells at skill level 5.
rossman86

Post by rossman86 »

I raised one element up to the skill that boosts your ranged spell's damage and put the rest into spellcraft. I found that after the final damage boost I preferred the utility of increased energy over maxing out my air tree for more resistances in 1 measly element.
Pyros

Post by Pyros »

Patchumz wrote:
Pyros wrote:He probably meant the damage spells of one school, which generally requires 12-16points or something like that. I had Fireball very early too since I dumped all my points in fire besides the 2 in spellcraft for wisdom and the initial mage weapon.
ALL the spells of 2 schools (Air and Ice), I ran with 2 mages ^^. After you figure out one or two, it's very easy to figure out the rest of the mage trees.

Nitpicking but at level 3 you'll have at most 4starting points(human)+3starting points(skilled trait)+4*2points from levels, so 15. You need 19 to get all the ice spells and 22 to get all the air spells. Unless you meant at dungeon level3, which I guess would put you at lvl4 or 5 on your mages which would be enough.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Pyros wrote:
Patchumz wrote:

Nitpicking but at level 3 you'll have at most 4starting points(human)+3starting points(skilled trait)+4*2points from levels, so 15. You need 19 to get all the ice spells and 22 to get all the air spells. Unless you meant at dungeon level3, which I guess would put you at lvl4 or 5 on your mages which would be enough.
Yeah, I meant dungeon level 3. Tons of spiders to kill meant I was plenty high to have all the spells.
Red Wyrm

Post by Red Wyrm »

I've found (from two and a half times through) that getting Air, Fire, or Ice up to the damage boosting point as fast as possible is a great way to go, taking a tiny dip into Spellcraft just so you can use the first staff along the way. After that, you can branch out, but the only useful resistance on the first few dungeon levels is poison, and Earth magic doesn't have the same blasting capabilities the other ones do. This method will allow for making short work out of most enemies for the for a while. Two mages decked out like that? That'd be a maelstrom of death... I think I'll go double mages next game... Anyway, that's my two cents!
bartitan

Post by bartitan »

i dont like the mage class in this game. takes too long for me to click on the correct icons and then cast a spell. i do find scrolls very often so finding spells can't be a problem.
with my first party i had one mage. he learned 2 or 3 spells, but i quickly stopped with that party. now i have a party with a human un-armed guy, a minotaur in heavy armor. 2 rogues at the back. one with throwing weapons and one with a normal weapon. ( the last one has enough points in assassination so she can attack with a normal weapon while standing at the back.) managed to tank one of those big guys who charge at you with this party. that was in level 9. (won't say where because of spoilers.)