Level 6 - Hall of Fire Pillar Buttons

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
StriderDSO

Re: Level 6 - Hall of Fire Pillar Buttons

Post by StriderDSO »

SpoilerShow
Yeah the 4th button is hard, but that's the last hard one. As soon as you hit the fourth button immediately backup [to the tile that was raised due to the removal of the torch], and then you have plenty of time to walk around to the 5th. Its floor doesn't open anywhere near as quickly as the other ones. Using the keyboard and strafing helps save some time while doing the sequence.
tomvilfroy

Post by tomvilfroy »

SpoilerShow
Strafing?? I'm only using the keyboard and like I said, the 4th one I BARELY [like 1 out of 20 times] get it done right. The other 19, screaming (characters) and reloading!!
StriderDSO

Post by StriderDSO »

SpoilerShow
lol yeah I fell a few times too on the 4th. As soon as you get it and backup though, you'll get the 5th one and find it easier.
tomvilfroy

Post by tomvilfroy »

SpoilerShow
well I've done it 25 times since I last posted..I can't get to the 5th button in time, no matter what..the pit opens before I can press it. Even if I use a saved file after getting off the pit for the 4th button. So I need some definite help here on how to get to that 5th button...
StriderDSO

Post by StriderDSO »

So you get the 4th one in time, but don't make it to the 5th? How close are you getting?
telra

Post by telra »

SpoilerShow
4th->5th button (and and the 4 buttons as well)
The main requirement here, which I actually hate a bit as it makes it feel too much like an FPS-the timing is just too demanding, is using 'keyboard buffering'. You can press movement key, while the a move is being animated and it will remember it (several steps ahead actually i believe) and do that. so as you sand at the 4th button and you press it, just go:
S,A,S,A,A,A,W,W,W,D,D,W,D,D,E,E mouseclick S
Almost like doing Fatality in MK2 :D
Ihmemies

Post by Ihmemies »

Maybe your team is burdened and moves slower or something. I thought there's plenty of time to click the button.
tomvilfroy

Post by tomvilfroy »

Nope..not burdened or anything. I think it has to do with a slow computer, just like most of these puzzles. Very annoying that they can't account for them and make half the dungeon less enjoyable. :(
tomvilfroy

Post by tomvilfroy »

telra wrote:
SpoilerShow
4th->5th button (and and the 4 buttons as well)
The main requirement here, which I actually hate a bit as it makes it feel too much like an FPS-the timing is just too demanding, is using 'keyboard buffering'. You can press movement key, while the a move is being animated and it will remember it (several steps ahead actually i believe) and do that. so as you sand at the 4th button and you press it, just go:
S,A,S,A,A,A,W,W,W,D,D,W,D,D,E,E mouseclick S
Almost like doing Fatality in MK2 :D
SpoilerShow
Nope, no buffering..it is doing it as entered and forgets..trust me, I've done it 5 times and around the 3 As..it does 2 and then W..enter pit! :(
schiz0phren1c

Post by schiz0phren1c »

I felt like I was gonna have a real life coronary while doing this one myself (took me about 20 tries) but trust me you can do it!
SpoilerShow
make sure you just go clockwise around the pits from the last platform,if you can shuffle sideways while facing the north,so you are already in position to hit the button it saves that valuable second at the end...wanna hear something REALLY horrible?...first time I managed to do it and the room with the sword opened up,the Fire dude killed me :(