"Backwards-compatible" Vitality

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
dbgager

Re: "Backwards-compatible" Vitality

Post by dbgager »

Thats right they don't check. Because they are simply enjoying the game, and do not let things like that get in the way of their enjoyment. If you are going to be frustrated and sit around testing the game, and not even play it. I feel sorry for you.
So what...you had 200HPs at the end of the game instead of 180. Do you think you get an award. Did it effect your playing of the game. In your case it obviously did because you reloaded the game a couple of 100 times to max your rolls. But I venture that the person who did not worry about it had a lot more fun.

I used to worry about stuff like that. I stopped worrying about it a long time ago.
mystrdat

Post by mystrdat »

dbgager wrote:Thats right they don't check. Because they are simply enjoying the game, and do not let things like that get in the way of their enjoyment. If you are going to be frustrated and sit around testing the game, and not even play it. I feel sorry for you.
So what...you had 200HPs at the end of the game instead of 180. Do you think you get an award. Did it effect your playing of the game. In your case it obviously did because you reloaded the game a couple of 100 times to max your rolls. But I venture that the person who did not worry about it had a lot more fun.

I used to worry about stuff like that. I stopped worrying about it a long time ago.
Do you believe I would waste my time playing games and whining about their mechanics on some forums if I didn't enjoy it? On topic, please.
Last edited by mystrdat on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
hapro

Post by hapro »

There have been a lot of times I really could have used an extra 10-20 health.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

dbgager, it's ooooookay now. Stop. Please.

I m currently playing the game, dungeon level 10, and I had the same decision to face. Enjoying the game BUT want to know how it works. This is not mutually exclusive. I can enjoy it while doing the perfect character. So please stop with your wisdom telling how things should or should not be... I was about to skill atheltics for my frontliner but then I thought: VIT+2 for a level 12 character? Does that make sense? So I came here to read.

Page by page your spam was more annoying... I guess in the end I only registered to post, how annoying I find your way of approaching the people here and trying to push them into the wisdom you have claimed.

The vitality system is flawed and its bad game design. While many things in gaming have evolved to a negative, overcoming this mechanic was actually something from the positive side: Ensuring that the choice to raise VIT when the player has already progressed to the lategame is still a choice that will offer enough benefits thus making it a valid choice. Next to that, removing random character generation factors helps to design the game content, which is always good for someone balancing a game, and additionally it removes the odds of a player getting stuck, because of terrible bad luck.... ...computer RNGs can do funny things, and there will be people out there who roll extremely bad. The player experience will suffer but the player does not understand why, as it is a degenerating process and not a "good choice/bad choice" situation with a learning effect.

Yes, there is no bible for making games. And yes, you are entitled to vote for the oldschool VIT system, and defend it like a maniac (cause thats the impression you make here). If you like shit, you like shit. Its okay. Doesnt mean you have to convinve other people that shit is good.
Disasterrific

Post by Disasterrific »

Didn't someone find that it is "backwards compatible"?
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Smaug wrote:Enjoying the game BUT want to know how it works.
I agree about this, another thing I like about RPGs is knowing the different mechanics and thinking out proper characters that would be strong and fun at the same time, I also understand that some people may just want to play the game without all those complex calculations or character builds someone does. But if you find something that is weird like random hitpoints, dexterity not helping ranged attackers etc. it's not bad to point it out.

Sometimes you just wanna play the game, sometimes you wanna get the max out of your characters, making the ultimate hero, both legit in my opinion, it's just up to one's own taste.
mystrdat

Post by mystrdat »

Disasterrific wrote:Didn't someone find that it is "backwards compatible"?
Source?
Sabatasso

Post by Sabatasso »

Hit point gains seems a bit randomized. This game seems to use the "old model" and getting +6 Vitality and Healthy is something I do for my characters, and my fighters get 8 points in Athletics first thing for the same reason. In my first playthrough, my fighters had identical stats, was the same level but one had around 20 HP more than the other. I did not give any of them a certain tome, before anyone asks.
seebs

Post by seebs »

Experimenting: If you skill up something that grants vitality, your health does appear to be affected by it at least a little. Directly modifying vitality doesn't seem to have that effect, although it still affects all future level gains.
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

While I certainly don't care if they offer a "max hp" checkbox in the option for those that want it, being annoying to people with OCD is hardly grounds for calling the design "faulty".

I know the HP gains are a bit randomized. I've never once reloaded to try to get a better roll. If you want to, go ahead. Nobody is stopping you.