Direct x * error while making cinimatics.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
minmay

Re: Direct x * error while making cinimatics.

Post by minmay »

Isaac wrote:It's not a matter of belief (I know they display), it's the matter of AH's official advice that mod textures be a power of two, for compatibility sake between platforms.
AH officially uses images that are not a power of two everywhere in the 2D GUI. You are giving destructive advice. It is an awful idea to use power of two images in cinematics: they will not match any common resolution.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

minmay wrote:
Isaac wrote:It's not a matter of belief (I know they display), it's the matter of AH's official advice that mod textures be a power of two, for compatibility sake between platforms.
AH officially uses images that are not a power of two everywhere in the 2D GUI. You are giving destructive advice. It is an awful idea to use power of two images in cinematics: they will not match any common resolution.
It's their advice. I go by what they have put in print. If it's wrong (or confusingly worded), then it should be clarified or fixed in the documentation.

I recall [vaguely] that we had trouble with non-power-of-two textures in the ORRR2 mod. A concern was that the mod might break on non-windows platforms... Not that I ever tested that myself ~having no Mac for that.
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

Thanks both for the detailed info.

I'll try it with that paint program Isaac provided. I'll let you guys know.
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

Uhm I have a question for Isaac. Could I trow you a P.M ?
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

Hey. I think most of them work. Thanks<3.

However It installed a framnet of MS version ( I already had it)
It forced installed anyhows. Now my dungeon doesn't even load anymore ( even the previous dungeon with a safe file)

Its ok you think. BUt I've tested it now with a new game from other mods and now i'm also getting the DX error. A brand new game or mod crashes it now right away.

I don't get it anymore lol.

I think this paint install of MS framework messed something up. ( It happens since then :/_

PS log 2 and all mods works fine.

ps2: Both at latest version.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Paint.Net is [afaik] reliant on the .Net framework. If by some chance the .Net framework has caused a problem, you should be able to either uninstall it, or check in System Restore, to see if it made it's own restore point when it installed.

I've run .Net and Paint.Net on WinXP, XP64, and Win7 without issues.

The only .Net issue that I recall having, was with a Witcher 2 patch that crashed the game... GoG actually sent me a custom patch without the .Net feature, and it worked for me (minus the leader board feature that needed .Net).
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

Thanks. Isaac. I know I'm just a simple person. I'll try to fix it:)