Before I get started as a modder, is this possible?

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Innomen

Before I get started as a modder, is this possible?

Post by Innomen »

Context:
I own this game, but have only played for approximately 5 minutes.
I write mods for other games.
I will not play this game unless I have the option of mapping every graphical button(s) to a key.

So, is it possible for me to write a UI mod for this game which can bind multiple currently unbindable actions to a key?

Is there an engine limitation preventing this?
Dr.Disaster

Re: Before I get started as a modder, is this possible?

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Mods for LoG are entire maps. A custom gfx-2-keys-UI as you intend it might be possible. Yet it will only work in mods that feature such a UI. It will never function with the main campaign or a custom mod it wasn't build into.

Examples to this are the GrimTK interface toolkit from JohnWordsworth or the virtual money interface by AdrTru.
Innomen

Post by Innomen »

Maps are not mods.

/smh

Anyway, thanks for saving me the time.
Leki

Post by Leki »

Short story: Yes it's possible.

Long story: Actually you can use console commands to load custom scripts directly into main game, or tr to use Config or Console to store there some additive functionality or mod main dat file (one way is to change the path in config of the map editor to open main campaign file there - another is to unpack dat file, modify it and repack it back) and do there what you want etc. But it's a bit hard and tricky work and if you have zero experience with LoG environment... but you know - with this style of communication - I'm not sure if people will be wiling to help you...

...and btw, "maps" for LoG are usually taken as a "mods" because they use custom/modified assets, new functionallity (as gui/dialogs/crafting/professions/skills etc), new objects, scripts (like complex frameworks) or monsters etc. You can find more modified assets than "finished maps". In other word, LoG has integrated strong support for moding directly into game editor, although you need more 3rd side tools to achieve more complex ideas.
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
Azel

Post by Azel »

Innomen wrote:Maps are not mods.
Well I don't think that key-binding counts as modding, and games without maps aren't really games either, imo.

I can agree that "maps are not mods" but that's an odd point to make considering no one is claiming that maps and mods are one-in-the same. You said that you have created Mods for other games, so does that mean that those games did not have Maps? Just about every fun game I can think of has Maps in it (WarCraft, StartCraft, Diablo, every MMORPG in existence, Elder Scrolls, Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc) - it's virtually impossible to have a player environment without maps. What were you modding, Candy Crush or something? :shock:
minmay

Post by minmay »

Leki wrote:Long story: Actually you can use console commands to load custom scripts directly into main game, or tr to use Config or Console to store there some additive functionality or mod main dat file (one way is to change the path in config of the map editor to open main campaign file there - another is to unpack dat file, modify it and repack it back) and do there what you want etc. But it's a bit hard and tricky work and if you have zero experience with LoG environment...[/color]
I wouldn't describe this as hard. However, there are some actions that you just plain can't bind to the keyboard: items' secondary actions, removing items from surfaces, switching tabs in the character sheets, manipulating the automap, etc.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Leki

Post by Leki »

minmay wrote:
Leki wrote:Long story: Actually you can use console commands to load custom scripts directly into main game, or tr to use Config or Console to store there some additive functionality or mod main dat file (one way is to change the path in config of the map editor to open main campaign file there - another is to unpack dat file, modify it and repack it back) and do there what you want etc. But it's a bit hard and tricky work and if you have zero experience with LoG environment...[/color]
I wouldn't describe this as hard. However, there are some actions that you just plain can't bind to the keyboard: items' secondary actions, removing items from surfaces, switching tabs in the character sheets, manipulating the automap, etc.

... actually he can "bind" it to the keys and controll the game only by keyboard using Mousekeys but it's a bit hard and tricky (and complex) work, as I said :roll:
Last edited by Leki on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
minmay

Post by minmay »

Haha, true. I've actually done something similar and used xinput to test my mods because it's the easiest way to click a mouse button on multiple consecutive frames, but I don't know how to do something similar in Windows and would guess that it's harder. If there is a similar method on Windows then it's easy to take a specific game resolution and "bind" keys to the champion hands and character sheet tabs. Scaling for multiple resolutions would take some experimenting though.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.

Return to “Mod Creation”