Cave-ins and earthquakes

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
rakenan

Re: Cave-ins and earthquakes

Post by rakenan »

My first and (so far) only earthquake came on the 2nd floor in the room where
SpoilerShow
you get locked in and attacked by 3 skeletons, right after I beat the last skeleton.
It startled me quite a bit.
citizendog

Post by citizendog »

I am pretty sure it's a random encounter. I am in level 9 and experienced ~ 5 so far.
dark

Post by dark »

Does anyone else think that the sound they used for the Earth quake rumbling sounds are not very Earth Quake sounding? I have a really nice 7.1 Digital head set and It did not sound anything like what it should. Sounded very bland to be honest.
ouT-Phaze

Post by ouT-Phaze »

dark wrote:Does anyone else think that the sound they used for the Earth quake rumbling sounds are not very Earth Quake sounding? I have a really nice 7.1 Digital head set and It did not sound anything like what it should. Sounded very bland to be honest.
---OFF TOPIC RANT---
Eww, 7.1 headphones are a gimmick. You have two ears for a reason =>_>= (no offense)

Having 7.1 tiny speakers is much lower quality than having a really nice set of normal cans for the same price. (You get way better surround sound from two high quality speakers next to your ears than all those low quality ones) (Before you say "they're high quality", every single pair of 7.1 cans I've seen have a frequency response range of 20hz-20khz or narrower. Standard Studio cans (Which cost the same amount) are 5hz-30khz, and those subharmonics/harmonics give way more warmth and quality to the sound. Go listen to som Binaural Audio (can find tons online) with some normal headphones, you'll be surprised at how much more precise the surround sound is with only two sources of sound.
---END OF OFF TOPIC RANT---

That's enough of that rant, onto the actual topic:

I think the quakes are purely an event, I don't think they mean anything. I've started over a couple times, getting quakes in totally different places/ways and the same places are caved in by default. One of my saves I've gotten to the 5th floor without a quake and all the cave-ins were still present in the same exact spots.

Just a little FYI. They're just flavour as far as I've experimented.
war_dog

Post by war_dog »

I think its random, i had my first quake when i was resting (i was awakned) :shock: thought "#%!!" and ran around like a headless chicken
OedepusTex

Post by OedepusTex »

I experienced my first tremor while i was exploring; i didn't cast any spells, i wasn't fighting, wasn't really doing anything. That was on level 2, so i wandered around to see if anything had changed, but alas, i found nothing, that is until i arrived at level 3. I found that a few tiles had been blocked by rock and debris, but i'm not 100% sure if this was because of the actual tremors/quakes.
RPGAlien

Post by RPGAlien »

ouT-Phaze wrote: I think the quakes are purely an event, I don't think they mean anything. I've started over a couple times, getting quakes in totally different places/ways and the same places are caved in by default. One of my saves I've gotten to the 5th floor without a quake and all the cave-ins were still present in the same exact spots.

Just a little FYI. They're just flavour as far as I've experimented.
Interesting. Though I can't believe them to be just a random flavor. They probably have some deeper meaning. My guess is that they are probably related to those dreams, and the notes left behind by that dude. I'll bet you that there's some deeper story-related meaning to the quakes, random or not.
lamepudding

Post by lamepudding »

I think its just random xD
I was trying out the clockwise teleport puzzle when My first one happened, and the only thing it did was prevent me from taking another route to my desitination (forcing me to use the door)
so I think its just random, to give you reason to understand the collapse tunnels.
Draken

Post by Draken »

war_dog wrote:I think its random, i had my first quake when i was resting (i was awakned) :shock: thought "#%!!" and ran around like a headless chicken
THIS!^ :o
i almost shat my pants when this happened to me! :|
Norpser

Post by Norpser »

My first earthquake scared the crap out of me because I had seen the troll charging in the trailer video and assumed that it had to do something with that!