Multiple magic schools spells pack

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
AndakRainor

Multiple magic schools spells pack

Post by AndakRainor »

Hi every one !

Check out the 105 spells for grimrock 2 version 2.2.4 here : Nexus Mods
I share a test dungeon with the spells assets so you can easily install and try it.

You can also find on this page a playable integration of the spells pack in the main campaign Isle of Nex: Magic of Grimrock
You can also get this campaign from: Steam Workshop
(Be careful, it seems Steam will not update your local copy of the mod to the last published version unless you unsubscribe then resubscribe.)

If you want to play it, I would advise to build a party with 2 or more casters, of course :) (a little bonus in this dat file; some custom classes and skills traits, with better wizards! Also secret puzzles everywhere and surprise items from MinAssets).

The goals I try to achieve with those spells :
SpoilerShow
- To make leveling more rewarding (here for casters), I wanted at least one new spell available for each skill point, so 5 spells for each magic school, including concentration.
- As I wish to make a mod for characters with higher levels than the main campaign of Grimrock 2, and also to make a wider range of character builds viable, I added multiple magic schools spells, so there are 5 additional spells for each combination of the four elemental magic schools.
- Some spells could be considered severely overpowered in this pack, but they were thought as "keys" to unlock progression in an open world design.
- I include willpower as a scaling factor in the power of spells.
To help you test those spells :
SpoilerShow
- you have crystal shards near the starting position to cheat : leveling champions, the party learning all skills, learning all spells or spawning all spell scrolls not learned.
- some other items all around to test various effects such as the new enchantments spells.
- note that I changed some of the original spells gestures to match the new philosophy of multi-schools spells.
The overpowered or key spells :
SpoilerShow
a teleportation to a previously memorized location (ishar...), the bridge spell over one tile, ice cube blocks you can push or walk on, a bolt that teleports the party when it hits a wall, another bolt that switches the positions of the monsters it hits and the party (and to a lesser extent a spell to breathe under water).
I would like to thank all the very helping people on this forum, Jhaelen and GoldenShadowGS as I used their work and included some variation of their spells in this pack. A special thank to Akroma ;) who shared a lot of ideas and visual effects I used, in particular the enchantment and trap spells. Also Minmay for several advices on performance, the spells book, and some visual effects too.

I welcome any feedback about the coding or design aspects you could have. Let me know for example what you think is too powerful or too weak and how you would balance it.

The general formula for spells power (damage, heal, duration...) is :
SpoilerShow
- For a single magic school spell : baseValue * (1 + skillLevel/5 + champion:getCurrentStat("willpower")/50)
- For a dual magic schools spell : baseValue * (1 + (skillLevel1 + skillLevel2)/5 + champion:getCurrentStat("willpower")/50)
- For a triple magic schools spell : baseValue * (1 + (skillLevel1 + skillLevel2 + skillLevel3)/5 + champion:getCurrentStat("willpower")/50)
- For a quadruple magic schools spell : baseValue * (1 + (skillLevel1 + skillLevel2 + skillLevel3 + skillLevel4)/5 + champion:getCurrentStat("willpower")/50)
Last edited by AndakRainor on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 29 times in total.
akroma222

Re: Multiple magic schools spells pack (alpha version)

Post by akroma222 »

Hey AndakRainor!

Not sure why no one has replied in this post,
I have been meaning to for a couple of weeks but got distracted with monster art works n mind maps

Community people! Check out AndakRainor's (and Jhaelen + GoldenShadowGS) work! :twisted:

This is a great collection of spell related content, I will certainly be utilizing some of the spell functions and maybe borrowing some spell icons

I do want to chat about some of these spells as well as my spell system, so i will PM you later today.
Thank you for sharing good sir :D

Akroma
Last edited by akroma222 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azel

Post by Azel »

ooh, I missed this post! I would love to incorporate some of this stuff in to my Myst mod. I do not have a File Dropper account, did you make this available anywhere else? If not I I can make an account to preview this work :mrgreen:
Eleven Warrior

Post by Eleven Warrior »

Hi.. Yeah would it be possible to get to a Drop Box instead as you have to pay for File Dropper, I would like to check these spells out to or if you have them Akroam could you make them available? Thxs :)
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Hmm I dont remember having to sign up for filedropper the first time I downloaded the files...
But now it is asking me too.... maybe I am getting confused
AndakRainor, did you have the files uploaded to another site a while ago..?
Ge.tt is another file share site that is totally free, maybe upload the files there?
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Eleven Warrior wrote:Hi.. Yeah would it be possible to get to a Drop Box instead as you have to pay for File Dropper, I would like to check these spells out to or if you have them Akroam could you make them available? Thxs :)
Id be happy to, Drop box or Ge.tt are the sites I use....

EDIT
AndakRainor, I have shared the files with Eleven Warrior over drop box, hope this is cool with you
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Oh sorry I didn't know this site would ask for money !!! It's ok to share it elsewhere, if you have a link I will update the first post with it, or reupload the files tonight (where do you think I should upload ?).

In this version there is a work around for the castByChampion problem that I believe was corrected in the last beta version of the game, so keep in mind it is a part of the code that will certainly change (disappear completly ?) in the next version.
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

I would go with "Ge.tt"
Drop box is good but for mass sharing Ge.tt is better I think
I share most of my modding stuff through them :D
Great stuff btw man, I was going to send you a PM today but got distracted and now off to work, chat tomorrow

Akroma
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Added a new version adapted for the beta 2.2.1 of the game
- bug fix: ProjectileComponent:setCastByChampion() has an incorrect argument type
Next version should use the new functions of beta 2.2.4 to change the party's movement speed !