"Backwards-compatible" Vitality

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
dbgager

Re: "Backwards-compatible" Vitality

Post by dbgager »

Its not flawed..Just because you don't like it. If you want maximum health .go for it. There is no randomness to it.
mystrdat

Post by mystrdat »

dbgager wrote:Its not flawed..Just because you don't like it. If you want maximum health .go for it. There is no randomness to it.
Reading this I doubt you even understand the question at hand, because what you said is coming in from a different universe of logic.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Are there not skills that add to vitality..Do they not need to be aquired first to maximize health points if vitality determines how many HPs you get a level..Maybe you have not thought this out fully. And the ones in the Athletics chain add 2 to vitality, other skill chains that add vitality only add 1, and Rogues have no skills that add vitality.

So regardless what you do..Characters in the end game will not have the same Health Points unless you navigate through the skill chains in exactly the same way.
GomJabbar

Post by GomJabbar »

How about those, like me, who want a meatshield in the front row?
Like a Minotaur Fighter with a tremendous amount of hit points?

If I want a pure tank I don't want him to dish out damage I want him to eat them and laugh so when my other STR/DPS Fighter next to him is down on it's knees I can simply leave the VIT/Tank Fighter in front and laugh as he saves the day.

That's how I build my Minotaur and he's simply The Dude. He can eat and forget every hit he receives. Sure he's not as accurate when fighting but that's not his role.

an BTW, it's a single player game right? Build your characters the way you want and we'll do the same.
Pre-orderer since 03/26/2012
Renevent

Post by Renevent »

dbgager wrote:Are there not skills that add to vitality..Do they not need to be aquired first to maximize health points if vitality determines how many HPs you get a level..Maybe you have not thought this out fully. And the ones in the Athletics chain add 2 to vitality, other skill chains that add vitality only add 1, and Rogues have no skills that add vitality.

So regardless what you do..Characters in the end game will not have the same Health Points unless you navigate through the skill chains in exactly the same way.
Honestly I don't think you are understanding what the OP is talking about. Either that, or I'm just not understanding how what you are saying actually applies to it :D

Seems to be a breakdown in communication here heh.
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

There are
SpoilerShow
health tomes (+25 health)
. I've been applying these to a front line melee rogue I'm toying with. My rogue was really going down quickly, however, so the extra health is a great fit.
mystrdat

Post by mystrdat »

My friends, I bring grim news, they did it.
I've just tested how the health gains work through several save/loads with the following party and.. well.. see for yourself.

Minotaur Fighter A - 18 Vitality (+7, +7, +6, +7, +6)
Minotaur Fighter B - 17 Vitality (+6, +5, +5, +4, +6)
Minotaur Fighter C - 16 Vitality (+5, +6, +4, +6, +5)
Minotaur Fighter A - 15 Vitality (+3, +4, +4, +4, +3)

Since I had a 22 vitality Minotaur before which was only receiving +7 per level, it is safe to say that 18 vitality is where the maximum kicks in and what you should aim for to maximize level gains - any more seems to be a waste. However, it is random roll. Every level up is a health roll (and probably an Energy roll too) - so if you're a number cruncher, you've got a lot of saving and loading to do in the game. Don't get me wrong here, I'm loving every step of the dungeon and I applaud the terrific work, but this random mechanic is one of the worst choices the devs could have made. The only thing it promotes is constant saving and loading prior to a fight, which it why nobody uses it anymore.

Imagine you play a 16 vitality character and you're an unlucky guy who always rolls +4. I'm not sure if the game has a max level, but let's say you reach level 50. 49*4 = 196 health. If you always rolled +6 it's 49*6 = 294, which is a 98 health difference. That's almost as much health as the whole Armors skill tree grants. Going for lower vitality is even more dramatic, I think it can do down as low as +1. The difference between a vitality 18 and vitality 15 character at level 50 can be a huge 196 health abyss.
Last edited by mystrdat on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Honestly Revenent..I don't think you understand the game then. From the description of Vitality in the game:

Vitality- Vitality represents the overall health and stamina of your character. It effects the current number of Health Points gained at first and SUBSEQUENT LEVELS and helps to get rid of harmful conditions.

Was not the capatilized part of the description what the TC was having trouble with and the fact that these health points award an amount of health points at each level according to how many vitality points you currently have. Therefore if you have a lot of vitality at the beginning you will end up with more than if you aquire the same amount during the course of the game. If you do not understand how skills that award vitality points can increase the amount of health points you have at the end, the earlier you get them. I guess neither you nor the OP have thought this out clearly.

Seems I actually understand it more than you do..
Last edited by dbgager on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Renevent

Post by Renevent »

/facepalm

You need to go back and read your replies to him, you have no been addressing what he was talking about based on that understanding. I already mentioned in my very first post that description and very well know what it says anyways.

Anyways interesting test mystrdat, thanks for checking it out. I don't agree it means grim news but it's nice to see the actual effects numerically.
Last edited by Renevent on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

No I went way above it, and lost both of you in the process.

ANd my replies are mostly if you want a maximum health character develop him that way. The flaws in your thinking pertaining to this game is where I lost you.
Last edited by dbgager on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.