Dear Devs, great game but need clarification on role of DEX

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Darklord

Re: Dear Devs, great game but need clarification on role of

Post by Darklord »

NewYears1978 wrote: Didn't know dex didn't effect daggers.
Well it does effect accuracy with daggers, just not damage.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Well I woke up, and see that the "waaah dex is useless just go all strength" guys have continued to pour in, and skip my posts, and repeat themselves like broken records. So I'm done.
Saxi

Post by Saxi »

Dalton wrote:Well I woke up, and see that the "waaah dex is useless just go all strength" guys have continued to pour in, and skip my posts, and repeat themselves like broken records. So I'm done.
Hardly see anyone crying, just pointing out a fact. But feel free to cry and go home. That's much more useless than actually expressing our opinion of what I believe to be a big flaw in the dynamics. Silence never solves anything but stating your out certainly will contribute tons. So I want to thank you for that.

You and I both know you are not going anywhere thou.
Cyjack

Post by Cyjack »

I understand the reasons for it, and am not particularly upset now that i understand it, but I do wish this had been clearer from the start of the game. If I wasn't mid-way through the game, I'd probably re-roll. It is rather counter intuitive for building the best ranged attacker.
Renevent

Post by Renevent »

To be fair it is pretty clear if you read what it says...with that said I made the same exact mistake because I just assumed. Live and you learn I guess :D
Cyjack

Post by Cyjack »

Renevent wrote:To be fair it is pretty clear if you read what it says...with that said I made the same exact mistake because I just assumed. Live and you learn I guess :D
I think this thread is pretty solid evidence it isn't "clear". There are misleading indicators that confuse the issue, like the aforementioned dex bonuses in the missle tree, and the fact that the supposed "rogue race", the lizardmen, aren't actually going to be the best rangers.

Again, not upset. But it is counter intuitive, and could use clarification in future patches that dex actually isn't very important for a ranged attacker. They get hit less anyway being in the back row, so they don't even need a super high evasion score. Ironically, it appears Dex is far more important for a front row fighter.
Saxi

Post by Saxi »

Cyjack wrote:
Renevent wrote:To be fair it is pretty clear if you read what it says...with that said I made the same exact mistake because I just assumed. Live and you learn I guess :D
I think this thread is pretty solid evidence it isn't "clear". There are misleading indicators that confuse the issue, like the aforementioned dex bonuses in the missle tree, and the fact that the supposed "rogue race", the lizardmen, aren't actually going to be the best rangers.

Again, not upset. But it is counter intuitive, and could use clarification in future patches that dex actually isn't very important for a ranged attacker. They get hit less anyway being in the back row, so they don't even need a super high evasion score. Ironically, it appears Dex is far more important for a front row fighter.
Agreed, your fighters just need to soak not dish out. So making then dex and vitality would be best if evade actually helped.
Cyjack

Post by Cyjack »

Saxi wrote:
Cyjack wrote:

Agreed, your fighters just need to soak not dish out. So making then dex and vitality would be best if evade actually helped.
The accuracy is a big deal too. I'm tired of my big Mino always whiffing with his super powerful mace. The accuracy coupled with the dodge makes me wonder if I shouldn't be pumping Dex over STR with frontline fighters. I'm not sure how re-playable the game will prove with the static loot and levels, but If I give it a replay, I'll definitely be doing things differently.
Last edited by Cyjack on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renevent

Post by Renevent »

Cyjack wrote:

Well after actually taking the time to read what DEX/STR did effect, it is clear. The confusion comes from people's experience from other games and what they expected it to do.
Cyjack

Post by Cyjack »

Renevent wrote:
Well after actually taking the time to read what DEX/STR did effect, it is clear. The confusion comes from people's experience from other games and what they expected it to do.
Yeah, I disagree, and just gave you the reasons why. One description is not immune to being confused by other factors. But keep on saying that, and disregarding the fact that this thread proves it is anything but clear, and insulting everyone by implying they didn't actually read the description.
Last edited by Cyjack on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.