Automap didn't ruin my game!

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Disasterrific

Automap didn't ruin my game!

Post by Disasterrific »

I'm sure there's nothing more satisfying than a full set of hand drawn maps, but just to let people know, there's no shame in using the automap to automate all the hard work, and you needn't worry about spoilers!

I don't know if it was a conscious decision but tucking away the automap button also discourages you from hammering on it the whole time - it's fun to just wonder off and come back to it when you start going in circles.
Darklord

Re: Automap didn't ruin my game!

Post by Darklord »

I've completed the first 3 levels so far without any mapping at all, is starting to get somewhat confusing but I'm coping! :D

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
robobot

Post by robobot »

Darklord wrote:I've completed the first 3 levels so far without any mapping at all, is starting to get somewhat confusing but I'm coping! :D

Daniel.
You're a much braver man than I am! I get lost and confused even with automapping on. :P
Mortimer

Post by Mortimer »

Darklord wrote:I've completed the first 3 levels so far without any mapping at all, is starting to get somewhat confusing but I'm coping! :D

Daniel.

This is how i am running too. I think I am on lvl 4 and just starting to get lost some in one area that I get surrounded by enemies, but after I die a few more times I'll get where I remember all the twists and turns :p
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

The compass helps with this, gives you a vague sense of direction at least. ;)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
hapro

Post by hapro »

The only thing I find mapping really useful for is making notes of areas I missed/doors I couldn't figure out so I can go back and try them later if I want to. It's not too tough to keep a mental model of the current level you're on, and unless you're regularly going back 2-3 floor for some reason, that should be enough.
GomJabbar

Post by GomJabbar »

No shame at all using the automap.

When I play a game I don't want to work, I want to play. Mapping, for me, is work.

To each his own but automap is on!
Pre-orderer since 03/26/2012
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

I'm such a cheater. I'm letting the automap do all the work so I can transfer everything over to paper later. :lol:

(Achievement Unlocked!)
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Actually I really enjoy drawing the maps. It takes me back to a time when that was the only choice you had. Some people do. To each his own however. In no way am I saying anything bad about your way of playing the game.
Last edited by dbgager on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tepic

Post by Tepic »

Mapping can be a huge part of the game for some, but not for me. I doubt I will ever turn automap off, but I am very happy the devs thought to include the option for those that like it.

Personally I think you map types are crazy! Graph paper is for the classroom :)