VSync/Triple Buffering causing lag

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Jack Dandy

VSync/Triple Buffering causing lag

Post by Jack Dandy »

I've tried both Vsync and Triple Buffering and it seems that whenever they're turned on, it creates a slight lag between key input and the actual action.

I've tried it just to be sure, and I'm almost certain it's there. For example:
VSYNC/Triple Buffering OFF: If I keep the "forward" button pressed, the party takes one step forward, and then "glides" forward without stopping until I release the forward key.
VSYNC/Triple Buffering ON: If I keep the "forward" button pressed, the party takes one step forward, but then keeps moving in single "steps" instead of gliding.

And it's not just for that, every button input has a slight delay as well.
DunCrow

Re: VSync/Triple Buffering causing lag

Post by DunCrow »

Jack Dandy wrote:I've tried both Vsync and Triple Buffering and it seems that whenever they're turned on, it creates a slight lag between key input and the actual action.

I've tried it just to be sure, and I'm almost certain it's there. For example:
VSYNC/Triple Buffering OFF: If I keep the "forward" button pressed, the party takes one step forward, and then "glides" forward without stopping until I release the forward key.
VSYNC/Triple Buffering ON: If I keep the "forward" button pressed, the party takes one step forward, but then keeps moving in single "steps" instead of gliding.

And it's not just for that, every button input has a slight delay as well.
I think that is because of how vsync works. Take a look at this http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

The important part is this one
Essentially this means that with double-buffered VSync, the framerate can only be equal to a discrete set of values equal to Refresh / N where N is some positive integer. That means if you're talking about 60Hz refresh rate, the only framerates you can get are 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10, etc etc. You can see the big gap between 60 and 30 there. Any framerate between 60 and 30 your video card would normally put out would get dropped to 30.
So I think maybe your frame rate is just unlucky for vsync, or you have not enough video ram to support it. Maybe the ram thing would make triple buffering lag that bad.

You have to realize that vsync means more effort for the gpu in some cases.
What hardware are you running on?
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Sorry- but what exact specifications should I find? I'm not an expert with computers.
And thanks in advance for the help btw- if it turns out my comp's not suited for Vsync, I'll just play without it.
DunCrow

Post by DunCrow »

Jack Dandy wrote:Sorry- but what exact specifications should I find? I'm not an expert with computers.
And thanks in advance for the help btw- if it turns out my comp's not suited for Vsync, I'll just play without it.
The graphics card you are using, and maybe the processor and how much memory your graphics card has.

But if it works fine for you without vsync i would just play without it.
The effect of vsync depends on how well the game is running in the first place.