Question for EVERYONE here

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Neil79

Question for EVERYONE here

Post by Neil79 »

For those that have never played a dungeon crawler before ie a game such as this, has it made you go and search or think about playing other OLDER dungeon crawlers?

Also for those new to this genre what do you think about it?, is it something that needs to be a more common genre in the future
The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! http://www.indieretronews.com/ : Indie Retro on twitter https://twitter.com/Indie_RetroNEWS
PSY

Re: Question for EVERYONE here

Post by PSY »

I've always been a sucker for dungeon crawler-style games.

I personally think that this genre is being absolutely underestimated. Totally ^^
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Slynt

Post by Slynt »

This is obviously not a question for everyone :P
I mean, it was Eye of the Beholder that made me look for more Dcrawls. Grimrock does whet the appetite though
kyogen

Post by kyogen »

It makes me want to go play older roguelikes once I finish LoG. There is a rigorous simplicity (complex simplicity?) to the gameplay that I really enjoy. On the other hand, the graphics, sound design, main theme, and narrative framework of LoG are all excellent, and I honestly don't think I would enjoy the game as much without them; it's a compact but complete package, so to speak. ASCII roguelikes eschew much of that, but it's almost easier for me to go to that extreme rather than play this game's immediate predecessors and constantly think "LoG has better music, LoG has prettier environments, LoG has nicer... whatever." I'm definitely happy with this purchase, but I'll probably jump to roguelikes before picking up a few dungeon crawlers from GOG.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Don't really fancy Roguelikes myself, I prefer hand sculpted over random any day! :)

LoG interrupted my current playthrough of Dungeon Master, so I'll likely go back to that after this.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Nachtfischer

Post by Nachtfischer »

Roguelikes are dungeon crawlers, too. But that's pretty much all LoG has in common with them.

I personally replayed some of the beloved classics (especially Dungeon Master & Lands of Lore) before LoG's release to create some first-person-crawler-mood. :)
notchris

Post by notchris »

I had never played any grid-based dungeon crawlers before I saw LoG a couple months back.
Since then I downloaded DosBox and have played through EoB 1&2, LoL 1&2 and some of the Ultima and Might & Magic games.
Simply awesome.
HarpoonIPA

Post by HarpoonIPA »

Darklord wrote:Don't really fancy Roguelikes myself, I prefer hand sculpted over random any day! :)

LoG interrupted my current playthrough of Dungeon Master, so I'll likely go back to that after this.

Daniel.
Same here :lol:
Nachtfischer

Post by Nachtfischer »

notchris wrote:I had never played any grid-based dungeon crawlers before I saw LoG a couple months back.
Since then I downloaded DosBox and have played through EoB 1&2, LoL 1&2 and some of the Ultima and Might & Magic games.
Simply awesome.
As great as these games are... compared to LoG they seem a bit dull now. Especially concerning presentation of course. :P
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Ultima Underworld is especially awesome!
As a matter of fact, the reason I've grown interested in LoG is since the devs said one of their inspirations for the game was UU.

They've certainly showed it well in this game.