Dear Devs, great game but need clarification on role of DEX

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Darklord

Re: Dear Devs, great game but need clarification on role of

Post by Darklord »

Yeah I have a Strength based Minoatur for my back row Rogue, she does a pretty god job at it! Consider putting a few points into Dex though, (to get it up to 10) as you may find like me that arming her with a spear in her offhand is quite useful. :D

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
RPGAlien

Post by RPGAlien »

Darklord wrote: Dex is still very needed for all Melee character or those who want to be good at dodging. :)
... And hitting your targets!
Saxi wrote: My previous one did basically calling the game Legend of Strengthrock, basically they really botched the rogue class.
You know; dealing 100 billion damage is kinda pointless with a hit chance of 0%... :P
Renevent

Post by Renevent »

Well ranged weapons never miss, so that would be a perfectly viable build I think heh.
RPGAlien

Post by RPGAlien »

Renevent wrote:Well ranged weapons never miss, so that would be a perfectly viable build I think heh.
True, just forgot that for a moment! :P

Guess it's good you can't do 100 billion damage then... :roll:

But still, a team made purely of archers can't possibly work... what would you do when you run out of arrows? Fling you entire inventory at them?
amnnor

Post by amnnor »

regomar wrote:This REALLY irritates me.

Completely unintuitive.

First thing I've found that I serious dislike about this game.
I wouldn't say it's completely unintuitive. It makes sense that all damage is strength based (except crossbows). I would like to see ranged attack accuracy be dependent on dexterity though. The fact melee needs accuracy but ranged does not is unintuitive.

I like that all stats are important for all classes, it's much better than the one stat classes that have become dominant in CRPGs. Also it reduces the effectiveness in min-maxing, or at least requires you to think about what you want rather than dumping everything into one attribute based on class.

I've enjoyed the Small amount of time I've played so far. I would ask that the devs consider making ranged attacks not hit 100% of the time for both the party and critters. The shots of acid or poison in narrow corridors that you can't evade are tough.
Saxi

Post by Saxi »

Darklord wrote:You know I actually don't mind how it works, if you go back to D&D and Dungeon Master then strength absolutely effected missile weapons. You actually had to have a minimum strength to even use a Composite Longbow.

Dex is still very needed for all Melee character or those who want to be good at dodging. :)

Daniel.
Dex doesn't seem to help much in dodging, my 24 dex rogue (with like 45 evade) is getting hit as much as the 6 dex fighter. Also, you can only use one dagger. Why even have a rogue class?
RPGAlien

Post by RPGAlien »

Saxi wrote:
Darklord wrote:You know I actually don't mind how it works, if you go back to D&D and Dungeon Master then strength absolutely effected missile weapons. You actually had to have a minimum strength to even use a Composite Longbow.

Dex is still very needed for all Melee character or those who want to be good at dodging. :)

Daniel.
Dex doesn't seem to help much in dodging, my 24 dex rogue (with like 45 evade) is getting hit as much as the 6 dex fighter. Also, you can only use one dagger. Why even have a rogue class?
Partly agrees with you here. It would make more sense to call it a marksman or something like that. The class isn't really that roguish, and the assassin perk tree is nothing like an assassin either. If only there was some kind of need for lock-picking or something like that, you could truly justify the need for a rogue class..

But besides from that; the only thing about the class that really annoys me is the lack of dual-wielding. Missile weapons and throwing weapons can get a double attack, so why not daggers too (in the form of dual-wielding)?
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

As awesome as this game is (and it is awesome!) This is only the AH guys first collaborative game, I'm sure many improvements will come with time. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
NewYears1978

Post by NewYears1978 »

I goofed on this one too I think. I have a rogue and I put all points into dex (and a few vitality)..

Didn't know dex didn't effect daggers.
Saxi

Post by Saxi »

Darklord wrote:As awesome as this game is (and it is awesome!) This is only the AH guys first collaborative game, I'm sure many improvements will come with time. :)

Daniel.
This is RPG 101 though, and I don't want to wait 3-6 months down the road to actually play the game. Not knocking the game, what I have seen is very true to the nostalgic game many of us bought it for, but this is a huge oversight. For me, it ruins a good part of the game. Rogues have always been my favorite class (I would even bet it is the majority favorite of most players) but the game is careered to a majority fighter make up. I'm sure it could be played with 1-2 rogues fairly easily, but the rogue is kind of useless in a party unless you go range in the back.

No duel wield, no point in using dex, what's left?