Any Help For Arachnophobes?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Darklord

Re: Any Help For Arachnophobes?

Post by Darklord »

The enemies are lethal to, so you really have to be on your toes! :P

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Kriptonic

Post by Kriptonic »

Yeah I hate spiders too, hate them lots. I was able to deal with the odd one or two on level 3 whilst avoiding looking into the screen but focusing on the bottom right portraits but without paying too much attention to the spider. You end up suffering a butt kicking and almost certainly getting poisoned during the fight since you aren't paying enough attention to dodge.

The part that really got to me was
[semi-spoiler]that spider-filled room in level 3[/semi-spoiler]
I ended up shouting the F word out loud 20 times at 4am as I ran back to the crystal to save and quit.

I've not played since and it's been over 24hrs now. I intend to go back and try again but it's going to take some balls.

Would LOVE a spider-toggler, even if it just replaced them with static orange cubes that make no noise.
Dragonkin

Post by Dragonkin »

I never really understood aracnophobes getting the sweats from the screen. If its because of the sight of the the spider ok...but do you guys also quiver by the sounds the make in the game??
Because I`ve never seen a spider make clicking sounds. Even the world biggest spiders dont make clicking sounds like that, though im guessing they would if they were this big.
Don`t get me wrong, i also would be freaked if I saw a spider of this size in the real world but they don`t excist. :geek:
When all the world is overcharged with inhabitants, then the last remedy of all is war,
Which will provideth for every man, by victory or death. -Thomas Hobbes
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

What I plan on doing is replacing the spider models with the blobs. This alse includes their animations. They will be black and will retain all the characteristics of the real spider. Trust me, you don't want blob behavior.

That is the goal at least. I'll get working once the modding progress makes it possible.
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
skynes

Post by skynes »

Crashbanito wrote:What I plan on doing is replacing the spider models with the blobs. This alse includes their animations. They will be black and will retain all the characteristics of the real spider. Trust me, you don't want blob behavior.

That is the goal at least. I'll get working once the modding progress makes it possible.
My easily disturbed phobia filled brain loves you :D
but do you guys also quiver by the sounds the make in the game??
It's a guilty by association thing. We see one of them making that noise, so anytime in the game we hear that noise it triggers the phobia.
Infernisle

Post by Infernisle »

I'm an arachnophobe and made it to the end of floor 5 on my first party. I got bored of the generic 3 human 1 mino fighter fighter rogue mage setup, so I went a bit more unorthadox and now I can see floor 3's save crystal and I saved and quit right there. I can't make myself do it cause I know once I turn that corner it's going to be once more into the depths of my own personal hell. I have no idea how I did it the first time, and I've heard plenty that they make a return close to where my first party left off. *Shudder*

As an arachnophobe, it's really only spiders and scorps that set me off, so I'd be fine with a slime recolor model and sound swap. It's weird. Why do I love this kind of game so much, yet it is regularly more saturated with things I despise than anything else on the planet?
Lmaoboat

Post by Lmaoboat »

Somebody seems to have made a crude spider-removing mod, though it only seems to work for half the people.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1636&start=10#p16967