Character Generation 101

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Karina

Re: Character Generation 101

Post by Karina »

It makes me very proud that you like my work :-)
And especially now that she is even in the opening post. ^^
Nwardezir

Post by Nwardezir »

Lex wrote:I think all characters are later getting 4 skill points per level.
Is it confirmed ?

I made a group with 4 humans, and indeed, I got 4 Skill Points for each on every leveling.
But is it the same for other races, they also got it ?
Started roaming dungeons back in 1980 ... I guess I lost somewhere cause I'm still roaming today :mrgreen:
stage

Post by stage »

yes, all races get 4 points on level up, only the starting points differ.
Nwardezir

Post by Nwardezir »

stage wrote:yes, all races get 4 points on level up, only the starting points differ.
Son, I'm dissapoint. :cry:
Well, I think I'm gonna restart from scratch and replace 3 of my Humans with a Lizard Rogue and two Insect Mages.
(and hello my mate Stage, thanks for your reply)
Started roaming dungeons back in 1980 ... I guess I lost somewhere cause I'm still roaming today :mrgreen:
stage

Post by stage »

Dont worry I restarted my first party as well, untill I see what is happening and how stats work, though i didnt play that long, just the first dungeon level.

Still, I would recommend go classic mode - 2 fighters (at least on of them minotaur) 1 rogue 1 mage. The thing is later in game u will be a lot of
2x2 grid dancing with the mob and I cant really see it casting spells with 2 mages while doing that ;) one mage is more then enough
SpoilerShow
(spec into Fire seems to give the most options later in game)
. The rogue can throw stuff, or if feated attack from second row or use bow etc, but 2 mages is a bit too much for first playthrough i think. Anyway is up to you :) I know ppl doing 4 mages playthrough so anything is possible i guess:)
Lex

Post by Lex »

Nwardezir wrote:
stage wrote:yes, all races get 4 points on level up, only the starting points differ.
Son, I'm dissapoint. :cry:
Well, I think I'm gonna restart from scratch and replace 3 of my Humans with a Lizard Rogue and two Insect Mages.
(and hello my mate Stage, thanks for your reply)
No minotaur? :D ;)

Anyway, if you feel good with present team I do not think you need to start again just to change some stats.
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link
Infiltrator

Post by Infiltrator »

Could anyone please tell me what does Master Assassin do?
Doktor Teufel

Post by Doktor Teufel »

On the topic of Dexterity not affecting ranged weapon accuracy or damage:

The main issue I have with this method of handling ranged attacks is that traditional "archer" concepts don't really jibe with it. Unless I'm missing something, Dexterity has no affect whatsoever on ranged attacks; only Strength does, by way of increasing ranged damage. Several of my Steam friends who like to min-max created Minotaur archers, for fairly obvious reasons — 100% accuracy, high damage, skulls to increase the damage further, and still plenty survivable.

In my opinion, it would be much better and more balanced if Dexterity, not Strength, increased ranged damage. If there weren't 100% accuracy it would be a different story, but as it is it just feels wrong.
darkyoung

Post by darkyoung »

Doktor Teufel wrote:On the topic of Dexterity not affecting ranged weapon accuracy or damage:

The main issue I have with this method of handling ranged attacks is that traditional "archer" concepts don't really jibe with it. Unless I'm missing something, Dexterity has no affect whatsoever on ranged attacks; only Strength does, by way of increasing ranged damage. Several of my Steam friends who like to min-max created Minotaur archers, for fairly obvious reasons — 100% accuracy, high damage, skulls to increase the damage further, and still plenty survivable.

In my opinion, it would be much better and more balanced if Dexterity, not Strength, increased ranged damage. If there weren't 100% accuracy it would be a different story, but as it is it just feels wrong.

Wrong from tradition may haps, but you have to agree on the fact that it's strength that determines how far back you can draw the bow string and arrow (and therefor harder impact) Not dexterity.
vorvek

Post by vorvek »

darkyoung wrote:Wrong from tradition may haps, but you have to agree on the fact that it's strength that determines how far back you can draw the bow string and arrow (and therefor harder impact) Not dexterity.
Hard to explain why it would also work for a crossbow, then :P