Dev Team: Whats the Verdict on Linux version?

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Azel

Re: Dev Team: Whats the Verdict on Linux version?

Post by Azel »

Linux is open source which makes it easier and more popular to write hacks against. It is highly vulnerable to "zero day vulnerabilities" because it is open-source. But yeah, let's see if deusexm1 can make a point...

deusexm1 wrote:1. Funny but at the same time sad to see a mac user bash linux when it comes to games. Not even like 5-6 years ago mac was in the same spot as linux as far as games were concerned. Did you go on mac forums and tell those people that they were using the "wrong" platform also?
1) I'm not bashing Linux at all. Learn to read.
2) You came to this forum to complain, not me.
deusexm1 wrote:2. You believe windows is efficient?
I believe Windows is efficient when it comes to doing Windows tasks. Case in point, Windows runs Grimrock for Windows very efficiently. You should try it instead of complaining.
deusexm1 wrote:3. Security is an issue because someone stole my social security number and committed ID theft, which meant i spent 2 years dealing with banks and and other institutions. When i use linux I dont have to worry that my next CC purchase info is going to some basement dwelling hacker.
So you stored your personal identity information on a computer, got hacked, and decided that instead of making sure you never store that information on a computer again... you just need to find a better computer. HAH! I love that terrible rationale.
deusexm1 wrote:For me, its a platform that is superior in every way minus the software availability. But that is getting better. In fact, I have every windows including 7, and 8 (lol @ metro btw. Nice tablet interface for desktop)... I choose not to use it b.c its trash and I wont be buying any more.
Windows is not trash if you want to play Grimrock. Besides, nothing you have said proves Windows is trash, but you have proven that your logic is trash by continuing to store your personal identity information on a computer even after you were compromised.

deusexm1 wrote:You can spend your money on Windows and windows antivirus software. Ill spend my money on games.
I haven't paid for anything Windows related in over a decade; I do pay for the video games though. I have an MSDN license (paid for by my company) so I enjoy it all for free. Plus, unlike you no one has ever stolen my identity :lol:

And you can act like you spend your money "better" but I aint buying it (pun intended). You spend your money quite foolishly, and made a dumb mistake which allowed someone to steal your identity and spend your money wastefully! Not to mention that right now you can't spend your money enjoying Grimrock. tsk tsk

I do enjoy Linux as well, I'm actually building a Linux laptop for the holidays. RedHat was my first experience, and I love the tools available for Linux as opposed to Windows/Mac. As a research project when getting my Masters degree in Information Systems I used Linux to crack WEP and WPA; as part of a presentation on the need for stronger security measures with Wi Fi. However, there is no reason to limit yourself to only one OS based on some ass backwards ideology.

Plus, Linux hacks are very common, and earlier this year a major compromise affected many Linux clients and servers:
http://it.slashdot.org/story/14/03/18/2 ... ix-servers

A brief history of Linux security breeches:
http://www.neowin.net/news/a-history-of ... s-on-linux

Lastly, a trend started back in 2002 where Linux attacks increased while those for Windows decreased:
http://www.geek.com/news/linux-attacks- ... ne-549070/

My advice: spend less money on games and more on books and schooling.
afettouhi

Post by afettouhi »

Don't derail this post now completely. The question was if AH had an update on a Linux version LoG 2.
nottorp

Post by nottorp »

afettouhi wrote:Don't derail this post now completely. The question was if AH had an update on a Linux version LoG 2.
Exactly. Linux and Mac.

Are you going to do a Torchlight? They promised a mac/linux version of Torchlight II and I preordered based on that promise.
There is still only a Windows version.

This is a disturbing trend. Indie dev launches game on all platforms, is succesful, and now with more money they expand the scope of the sequel until they find out they can't afford cross platform any more. Or they hire some MBA who tells them it isn't cost effective.

I've been burned once by Runic, I'm afraid I won't buy Grimrock 2 based on promises (which were made earlier). I will get it if I see a Mac version available.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

nottorp wrote:I will get it if I see a Mac version available.
The Mac version of LoG1 went live a year after LoG1 release. In that year AH added the editor, did a whole bunch of patches with bug fixes and performance tuning. After AH found all mayor issues of LoG1 fixed they did the port and i'm sure they'll go the same route with LoG2.

AH already stated that a LoG2 Mac version is planned and that they are able to it themselfs so it's just a matter of time. My take is that a Linux port might happen after Mac port release.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

nottorp wrote: This is a disturbing trend. Indie dev launches game on all platforms, is succesful, and now with more money they expand the scope of the sequel until they find out they can't afford cross platform any more. Or they hire some MBA who tells them it isn't cost effective.
I sympathize with you and believe too that given promises should be fullfiled. But, it is worth to note that it was more or less the Humble Indie Bundle (alone) and to a good degree Ryan Gordon (then freelancer) who drove and made(!) the Linux ports. Now Gordon works for Steam (only), which seems to reduce the pool of willing and able freelancer linux porters significantly.

This brings up the core problem: the support & porting to the fragmented linux ecosystem is still too hard/different for a too small market.
The mentioned Torchlight 1 is a prime example of a ported game but not really supported game, e.g. sound problems and infamous "missing head" bug, as the support of linux is hard for developers, especially for developers who are familar mainly with significantly better streamlined platforms (e.g. MacOS, Windows).

And as Steam(OS) has not up to now brought the break-through & marketshare for linux gaming (some people say it was just a lever of Valve against MS to prevent locking the Windows platform), it is reasonable for indie developers to look now more careful on a linux porting after this intermediate "linux on steam" hype seems to have cooled down (or has vanished).
deusexm1

Post by deusexm1 »

@Azel

Lol. Troll is a troll. TL;DR

@nottorp

Never buy games before linux port is complete.

@ Devs

Still no response?
nottorp

Post by nottorp »

deusexm1 wrote:@Azel

Lol. Troll is a troll. TL;DR

@nottorp

Never buy games before linux port is complete.

@ Devs

Still no response?
This is not only about Linux - I see no Mac version as well, and you can't say that is a fragmented platform with technical problems. Personally I have Linux installs, but I'm typing this from a mbpro with OS X. On which I can't play Grimrock 2 either.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

nottorp wrote: This is not only about Linux - I see no Mac version as well, and you can't say that is a fragmented platform with technical problems. Personally I have Linux installs, but I'm typing this from a mbpro with OS X. On which I can't play Grimrock 2 either.
As MacOS IS a platform, AH plans to do a port for MacOS (and not for Linux).

beside, here is some current reddit discussion directed at devs regarding linux gaming ports
Last edited by badhabit on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

nottorp wrote:On which I can't play Grimrock 2 either.
Nitpick: only true if you insist on a native port. These Mac and Linux users already play LoG2 ;)
nottorp

Post by nottorp »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
nottorp wrote:On which I can't play Grimrock 2 either.
Nitpick: only true if you insist on a native port. Yet other Mac and Linux users already play LoG2.
Thank you, I am capable of compiling custom Wine versions to run more stubborn games under emulation, and have done so in the past. Running stuff under stock Wine is even easier, of course. However I'm probably older and more stubborn now, so I will vote with my wallet.