Wishlist for LoG2 improvements

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
MostlyHarmless

Re: Wishlist for LoG2 improvements

Post by MostlyHarmless »

this would be a major feature rather than a minor improvement, but i'd be curious how grimrock would work in a multiplayer environment similar to the Minecraft online games where people start with nothing and have to search an area for equipment, food and other loot. they can fight each other or run during this time, but after a set time limit all remaining players are summoned to a death match. you might also allow players to fight monsters and gain xp at an accelerated pace during this time. could be fun, and if it were to work well it might increase sales of the game because youtubers like to stream those types of matches giving games like Minecraft free promotion...
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Well Juho does give a brief comment on this in part 2 of an interview made available a couple days ago the 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmJ-uLuiQ4&t=7m41s
MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless »

Isaac wrote:Well Juho does give a brief comment on this in part 2 of an interview made available a couple days ago the 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmJ-uLuiQ4&t=7m41s
well, it might not work, but if it did it could be great... i don't see the two issues Juho brings up with multiplayer as huge obstacles, first about passing people in narrow corridors, either you wouldn't, the way you cannot pass through monsters, or you make the multiplayer maps have wider corridors. the second issue was about models for different player characters and groups, which might take some work, but initially you could just use a generic 4 set of skeletons or something to see if multiplayer would even work and be fun - if it turns out to have potential then you could worry about different models for different races and builds.
Coroner

Medusa

Post by Coroner »

So, flying lady with evil glowing eyes... one of my favorite mosters of LoG2, however, when I first encoutered them (well ok, second time... first time my whole party just got petrified and killed), my automatic reaction in a fight was to turn my back when their eyes started to glow, cause that was the catch with "real" mythical medusa - and it worked! ...or so i thought. It turned out it was just a luck factor, and they can in fact petrify you even if you turn your back to them, so I just wanted to suggest that little trick. Nothing major, but it would be a very nice touch.
Zo Kath Ra

Re: Medusa

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Coroner wrote:So, flying lady with evil glowing eyes... one of my favorite mosters of LoG2, however, when I first encoutered them (well ok, second time... first time my whole party just got petrified and killed), my automatic reaction in a fight was to turn my back when their eyes started to glow, cause that was the catch with "real" mythical medusa - and it worked! ...or so i thought. It turned out it was just a luck factor, and they can in fact petrify you even if you turn your back to them, so I just wanted to suggest that little trick. Nothing major, but it would be a very nice touch.
I like this idea. LoG2 has at least one other detail like this, though in this case, it has a negative effect:
SpoilerShow
Using the Leech ability of some weapons on undeads actually drains health from your character
Coroner

Post by Coroner »

Zo Kath Ra wrote:
Coroner wrote:So, flying lady with evil glowing eyes... one of my favorite mosters of LoG2, however, when I first encoutered them (well ok, second time... first time my whole party just got petrified and killed), my automatic reaction in a fight was to turn my back when their eyes started to glow, cause that was the catch with "real" mythical medusa - and it worked! ...or so i thought. It turned out it was just a luck factor, and they can in fact petrify you even if you turn your back to them, so I just wanted to suggest that little trick. Nothing major, but it would be a very nice touch.
I like this idea. LoG2 has at least one other detail like this, though in this case, it has a negative effect:
SpoilerShow
Using the Leech ability of some weapons on undeads actually drains health from your character
Haha, funny story about that one... I'm standing there with my boneblade and I'm thinking about it "But what if... nah, they wouldn't."
then I score critical hit and instant-kill my fighter XD (oh and I'm playing 2-player party, so my mage also ends up eaten).
Azel

Post by Azel »

Isaac wrote:I think that the real ~honest~ reason for the lack of those hotkeys is that it's ~deliberately~ meant as part of the challenge. The very concept of making it easier with dedicated hotkeys, goes against premise. This would be my assumption; based on crawlers in general, and past dev comments. They would have to comment whether it's accurate truth.
You're probably right, but in my opinion that is "making something hard for the wrong reasons." Example: right now we can find hidden wall switches by looking at specific differences in a brick. This allows for quick scanning of walls. However, imagine if the game eliminated this and "every single brick on a wall" had the potential to be a hidden switch?? With zero identifying marks, patterns, or blemishes to help identify a switch? That would be making something hard for the wrong reasons.

There is slightly too much emphasis on using the "mouse" for absolutely everything in this game. An even balance of mouse/keyboard during combat would add a level of sophistication. Just my opinion tho :mrgreen:
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

Coroner wrote:Haha, funny story about that one... I'm standing there with my boneblade and I'm thinking about it "But what if... nah, they wouldn't."
then I score critical hit and instant-kill my fighter XD (oh and I'm playing 2-player party, so my mage also ends up eaten).
God that was way better than what happened to my rogue...

So starndard prcedure is if my rogue gets injured she just leeches for hp, so in a fight against skeletons she cops a whack from some side hits and goes for some backbiter healing, and goes from 20hp to 3 and learns a valueable lesson.
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

Azel wrote:
Isaac wrote:I think that the real ~honest~ reason for the lack of those hotkeys is that it's ~deliberately~ meant as part of the challenge. The very concept of making it easier with dedicated hotkeys, goes against premise. This would be my assumption; based on crawlers in general, and past dev comments. They would have to comment whether it's accurate truth.
You're probably right, but in my opinion that is "making something hard for the wrong reasons." Example: right now we can find hidden wall switches by looking at specific differences in a brick. This allows for quick scanning of walls. However, imagine if the game eliminated this and "every single brick on a wall" had the potential to be a hidden switch?? With zero identifying marks, patterns, or blemishes to help identify a switch? That would be making something hard for the wrong reasons.

There is slightly too much emphasis on using the "mouse" for absolutely everything in this game. An even balance of mouse/keyboard during combat would add a level of sophistication. Just my opinion tho :mrgreen:
So I'm thinking that nostalgia bait is kinda the wrong reason. "I want a [insert game genera] not a remake of [insert older game]" comes to mind. But the thing that really sticks out is all the "It would make the game too easy!" in the face of a game with difficulty settings. Like if we wanted things to be a set hardness then lets be rid of difficulty options. Make it an optional toggle like ironman or whatever, just cause the keys exist doesn't mean people have to use them.

Hell if hotkeys are too easy, just ditch the keyboard altogether and use the nav buttons. :evil:
Coroner

Post by Coroner »

Nexus wrote: Hell if hotkeys are too easy, just ditch the keyboard altogether and use the nav buttons. :evil:
Lolz, well said.