Tips for Ratling Boss?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
gambit37

Re: Tips for Ratling Boss?

Post by gambit37 »

In the end I managed it using invisibility and forcefields, using a key to re-open the gate then leading everyone outside to deal with them one at a time, even the boss. I don't know if it's a bug, but if you lead the boss too far away from from his room, the red life bar for the boss fight disappears and the music stops so you get no visual indication of his health.

As far as I could tell, the boss doesn't drop anything other than the cannon, and as both the keys are on the floor already you could simply just pick up the keys while invisible and avoid killing the boss completely.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

gambit37 wrote:In the end I managed it using invisibility and forcefields, using a key to re-open the gate then leading everyone outside to deal with them one at a time, even the boss. I don't know if it's a bug, but if you lead the boss too far away from from his room, the red life bar for the boss fight disappears and the music stops so you get no visual indication of his health.
The boss fight is set to happen inside this room vs. all the rats there. The health bar represents the entire group, not just the rat boss. IMO it seems natural that by escaping the area also the bar is removed.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

Just cast invisibility, move to the least crowded side of the room, and prime a special attack after each kill, kill him last, and you should not have to leave the room.
coolAlias

Post by coolAlias »

I found it effective to prep a Force Field spell, run up 2 squares toward the boss and cast it right in front of him, then retreat back 2 squares to the last square of the hallway - all the rats line up one at a time, leaving the big guy blocked until they're all dead, then you have all the space you need to dance about.