Ok, am I missing something with spells?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Bokonon

Re: Ok, am I missing something with spells?

Post by Bokonon »

Spell system is working in the way it should be. Its the way i miss so much in recent games, which simplifies everything. I want to feel Im actualy casting spell, like it was in DM. I think taht LOG will seperate people into two piles. The hardcore feeling of game is the reason, why this game is so popular, becuse without it it would be just another stup*d modern RPG.
Wramo

Post by Wramo »

Ashtray wrote:Actually I think if normal keymapping is used, normal "qwe asd zxc" to cast runes and "space" to launch spell would work better for us who want to keep other hand on mouse.
My idea is that those keys would work that way (instead of normal moving buttons) only if mouse is over spellcasting area.
If it is mapped that way you don't have to move your hands and spellcasting would be super fast.
Allowing players to map the symbols to whatever keys they like could work, or offer two options, one being the numb pad, and the other being what you described.
robobot

Post by robobot »

Pajamas wrote:
Patchumz wrote:The absolute minimum that needs to happen is keybound spellcasting, a spell autocast list might be too much, but at least let us use the keyboard, mouse is slow.
It could use the num-pad. From what I can tell the amount of spell components plus how many num-pad keys there are, why not let us use that instead. I think that auto-keys is still very borderline on ruining the systems intent, just allowing for the use of the num-pad would speed up spell casting and allow for more instant focus on the battle, as long as you know what you pushing.

-------------------------

The spell system, I think is fine. You should be using the spells after everyone else went so that you have time to do the clicks.
I agree, I like the spell system the way it is now; it kind of makes it feel as if you're conjuring up a spell. An alternate input mode that wouldn't ruin this would be nice, though, like the numpad, as you said. One thing that's annoyed me when trying to cast a spell is that I'll miss the cast button and click a rune beside it instead, but I suppose my poor accuracy is mostly to blame for that.

But in the end, I believe that the developers intended for this game to heavily involve mouse input, even if it isn't the most intuitive interface.
Dude McAwesome

Post by Dude McAwesome »

Since you can put any items in your hands I was hoping you could equip scrolls and just right click them to instant cast them. That way you could have a max of 2 equipped but not be able to cast any others, or have 1 quick cast and a staff or whatever to use the runes like normal.
Pandafox

Post by Pandafox »

Stalkingwolf wrote:i love the dungeon master style to cast spells.
everything else is to easy. i hated that ad&d style

edit: i'am playing with 2 mages on hard and it works great.
yes !
nowdays the players are so lazy :roll: