Aww, no gate bash.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Dandy

Aww, no gate bash.

Post by Dandy »

I lured a monster to a gate in order to use the old DM tactic of gate bashing, but it doesn't seem to work in LOG.
How am I expected to win if I can't gate bash? :D
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock
Pajamas

Re: Aww, no gate bash.

Post by Pajamas »

From what I understand, the gates here are meant to stop even the strongest prisoner from escaping. Even after years of wear and tear its not going to break. Kinda like even after a century concrete will not break when a muscle bound dude runs into it fast enough.

Gate Bashing is a good tactic against doors that can actually be broken, here they can't be by any of the races, just due to how strong their meant to be.
Rednecksith

Post by Rednecksith »

I believe by 'gate bashing' the OP means luring a monster under the gate, then closing it on them to do damage.
Sometimes I wish the world was flat so I could push people off.
shdwdrake8

Post by shdwdrake8 »

Dandy wrote:I lured a monster to a gate in order to use the old DM tactic of gate bashing, but it doesn't seem to work in LOG.
How am I expected to win if I can't gate bash? :D
Where is the +rep button? Here is some imaginary rep instead. I lol'ed.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Rednecksith wrote:I believe by 'gate bashing' the OP means luring a monster under the gate, then closing it on them to do damage.
Yep, that's what I was meaning. I would lure them in, and watch them scream as the spikes of the portcullis done the business on the poor creatures head. More often then not the AI would eventually move the blooded creature away, but some were thick as a brick, and would stay until their demise.

I do miss gate bashing.
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock
Kanubis

Post by Kanubis »

I used to love that in DM, even though later in the game I suspect it was doing minimal damage to the knights, scorpions and other high-level things! Worked wonders on screechers and ogres early on though.

I think it's because in DM the 'gate' was actually on a tile, while in LoG it exists between two tiles, so while you can't gate bash, you can at least always close it in front of whatever is attacking you.