Demo Version?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
SeriousSpy

Demo Version?

Post by SeriousSpy »

Hi, I'm considering buying the game, but I would like to be sure that I would enjoy it, and that it would work well on my computer. Is there any demo versions about, if not, is there any hope for one?
Thanks in advance.
Pajamas

Re: Demo Version?

Post by Pajamas »

SeriousSpy wrote:Hi, I'm considering buying the game, but I would like to be sure that I would enjoy it, and that it would work well on my computer. Is there any demo versions about, if not, is there any hope for one?
Thanks in advance.
I don't see a reason for a demo version, not that there is any reason against it. Mainly, for this game, in case your wondering if you'll enjoy it, check Total Biscuits WTF of it. I'll link to it below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzIiXx-8BHc

Quite honestly though, the game has everything that you would want in a dungeon crawler.
DAKlives

Post by DAKlives »

you can also grab the hardware test demo if you are concerned about your machine running it
http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/95753/ ... st-v1-0-4#
Kader

Post by Kader »

When it comes to PC games, a demo is always nice so that people don't have to pirate your game just to see how it runs on their hardware config.

And yes the hardware test is a solid alternative but, for me, it failed outright whereas the full game runs just fine maxed-out. *shrug*
SeriousSpy

Post by SeriousSpy »

Ok, thanks for the help guys.
DAKlives

Post by DAKlives »

Kader wrote:When it comes to PC games, a demo is always nice so that people don't have to pirate your game just to see how it runs on their hardware config.

And yes the hardware test is a solid alternative but, for me, it failed outright whereas the full game runs just fine maxed-out. *shrug*
IIRC that failure might have something to do with the SSAO setting
so i second that shrug heh, and indeed a demo would be nice, but for a 4 man team...I'm damn happy with what we have gotten and with the devs obviously following the threads in this forum, try that on any given
triple A title :lol:
spfiota

Post by spfiota »

This is one of the very few games I've ever bought without trying a demo, and only because I love the genre and the reviews are good.

I really don't understand why some devs, especially indie devs, don't release a demo. If your game is good and you've got nothing to hide it should increase sales. If your game sucks, yeah, I can see why you wouldn't want people to play before putting their money down.

Kind of annoying because there are some games out there I'm interested in but will never play because there's no way to try them out. It's a great game, but I really don't blame anyone in the least for not wanting to gamble with their money.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

spfiota wrote:I really don't understand why some devs, especially indie devs, don't release a demo.
Some reasons:
- It's additional work, resources better spent elsewhere. (both development and upkeep)
- Hosting isn't free.
- In case of DRM, it gives crackers more tools to play with.
- Scoping a demo is also tricky - sometimes demo is all people want, in other cases it's too little.

I've had several cases where I've tried the demo, figured meh, I'll pass, then ended up getting a copy thought a bundle and loving the game to death.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
spfiota

Post by spfiota »

If you gave floor 1. Just floor 1. Nothing else. Pre-made characters. Cheat a bit by starting the party out with a couple weapons and spell scrolls to show off what can be expected. That would sell the game to people who are on the fence. I think most games could be handled the same. Just carve out a small portion and serve it up. Companies spend millions to stem the flow of piracy, and it barely slows it down. No offense, but there's nothing you or any other indie dev can do to stop piracy except punish your players and ward off people who are uneasy about spending money without a trial run. As for distributing it, well, there are methods of getting it out there free, and I refuse to believe I'm the only person who is reluctant to buy without trying. If the game's good it seems to me a demo would pay for itself.

I've spent more money than I care to admit after getting hooked on demos for games I never imagined buying before.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

That may, or may not, be a good solution.

I know indies who have a bunch of demo versions with randomized scopes, and they keep stats on which of those generate most sales, and adjust the demo versions accordingly.

It's surprisingly complicated =)

Additionally, that doesn't solve the whole resource problem.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..

Return to “Grimrock 1 Discussion”