Ok, am I missing something with spells?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
gronkdamage

Ok, am I missing something with spells?

Post by gronkdamage »

Is there not a way to 'lock in' a spell? I can't imagine casting spells at higher levels... It's just annoying (not hard, just very annoying...)
richypc

Re: Ok, am I missing something with spells?

Post by richypc »

There is a script around these boards somewhere I think which allows you to hotkey them. There does need to be a interface change to allow for quickcasting of learned spells, divided by school of these spells.
gronkdamage

Post by gronkdamage »

Figures - I seriously thought about goign with 4 fighters (and getting the fighters in back ranged weapons like the spear).

They seriously need to add a better spell casting UI. Thanks for the reply.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

The "bolt" spells are the best damage spells, so it's not that bad (but I agree, it's a lot of work to recast spells with mouse), but the utility spells get pretty complicated.
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Don't think there should be, the spell system was designed to be this way. To feel like you're actually casting a spell. and not choosing something from a list.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

The absolute minimum that needs to happen is keybound spellcasting, a spell autocast list might be too much, but at least let us use the keyboard, mouse is slow.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Patchumz wrote:The absolute minimum that needs to happen is keybound spellcasting, a spell autocast list might be too much, but at least let us use the keyboard, mouse is slow.
It could use the num-pad. From what I can tell the amount of spell components plus how many num-pad keys there are, why not let us use that instead. I think that auto-keys is still very borderline on ruining the systems intent, just allowing for the use of the num-pad would speed up spell casting and allow for more instant focus on the battle, as long as you know what you pushing.

-------------------------

The spell system, I think is fine. You should be using the spells after everyone else went so that you have time to do the clicks.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Pajamas wrote:
Patchumz wrote:The absolute minimum that needs to happen is keybound spellcasting, a spell autocast list might be too much, but at least let us use the keyboard, mouse is slow.
It could use the num-pad. From what I can tell the amount of spell components plus how many num-pad keys there are, why not let us use that instead. I think that auto-keys is still very borderline on ruining the systems intent, just allowing for the use of the num-pad would speed up spell casting and allow for more instant focus on the battle, as long as you know what you pushing.

-------------------------

The spell system, I think is fine. You should be using the spells after everyone else went so that you have time to do the clicks.
Yeah, I think the numpad would be perfect. Just need a system to select which character you're casting with, but that too could be easily keybound.

As someone that uses 2 mages in their party, it's quite a lot of work to recast with the mouse, and I only have 2 melee characters to fill in the gap between spell casts.
Ashtray

Post by Ashtray »

Actually I think if normal keymapping is used, normal "qwe asd zxc" to cast runes and "space" to launch spell would work better for us who want to keep other hand on mouse.
My idea is that those keys would work that way (instead of normal moving buttons) only if mouse is over spellcasting area.
If it is mapped that way you don't have to move your hands and spellcasting would be super fast.
Stalkingwolf

Post by Stalkingwolf »

i love the dungeon master style to cast spells.
everything else is to easy. i hated that ad&d style

edit: i'am playing with 2 mages on hard and it works great.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster