Doesnt the Human Race feel lackluster?

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
steelsoldier

Doesnt the Human Race feel lackluster?

Post by steelsoldier »

I mean the human race is meant to excel, yet all they have as a racial bonus 10% experience gains.

Wouldnt it be better if instead of having the trait Skilled, they would have skilled as a racial bonus? Because at the moment I feel like 10% experience and the skilled trait are complete wastes and the racial bonuses that other races start with are much better.

In Grimrock 1 if you picked humans you would start with skilled, which made more sense and actually gave you a reason to pick humans in the first place. Every other race is currently a better choice, every single one has an obvious strength when you pick them, humans are just weak and completely worthless race.

Since attributes function differently than what they did in Grimrock 1, its all about extras that races can get now, and despite the humans having 10 in every attribute, they always fall behind other races no matter what they do.
2_hype

Re: Doesnt the Human Race feel lackluster?

Post by 2_hype »

They are okay they get an extra skill point and by the end of the game are 1 level higher than all your other characters.
steelsoldier

Post by steelsoldier »

Extra skill point if you pick it as a trait that is, which I dont find to be particular useful earlier on and I feel like there are non racial traits that can be far better than getting an extra skill point.

The 10% Experience Gains are useless in combat and all races have racial bonuses that improve their chances in them, or start with very particular high attributes, by giving humans 10% as a racial bonus you are preventing them from being able to excel and adapt as the description of the humans says, therefore they dont adapt, they are just worst.

Plus I still do not understand why you have a racial bonus that adds 10% experience and then on top of that you have a trait that also adds 10% experience, Adaptability is meant to be something that makes you not excel in every particular situation, but it allows you do be able to go agaisnt everything at a reasonable level.
Last edited by steelsoldier on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2_hype

Post by 2_hype »

They are good for Alchemist or whatever class needs loads of stats.
steelsoldier

Post by steelsoldier »

But whats the point in picking human if I can pick a race that gives me exact attributes and racial bonuses to be able to do that task even better than a human does?
The 10% Experience gain gets crushed and a Trait is sacrificed just to get 1 Skill and it doesnt even let you level up a skill that is at level 1 to level 2.
ChinookUT

Post by ChinookUT »

For most purposes, I agree, but I'm perfectly fine with what they settled on.

On my first playthrough I made a human wizard and made him the ultimate Archmage. Skilled, Fast Learner, experience necklace and every skills tome. Ended up with something like 5 Fire/Air/Water and 3 Concentration. It was very satisfying to be able to cast a wide range of magic, suited for each situation.
Sarumorpheus

Post by Sarumorpheus »

One of the main things with humans is that all their attributes start at 10, instead of other races who get bonuses and penalties. They can pretty much be any class without the start-up attributes affecting them dramatically. I believe that's what is meant by their adaptability.

Yeah, other races may be better suited to perform specific roles, but humans are right there in the middle.
steelsoldier

Post by steelsoldier »

Its not the 10 at all attributes that concerns me, its the fact that their racial bonus is +10% experience gain.

While it lets you level up slightly faster it does not make your character adapt, I would prefer that you would get a +1 skill right from the start and then in the traits you would have a trait that could give you +10% Experience Gain, I think that would humans adaptable as they are advertised.
Jirodyne

Post by Jirodyne »

steelsoldier wrote:Its not the 10 at all attributes that concerns me, its the fact that their racial bonus is +10% experience gain.

While it lets you level up slightly faster it does not make your character adapt, I would prefer that you would get a +1 skill right from the start and then in the traits you would have a trait that could give you +10% Experience Gain, I think that would humans adaptable as they are advertised.
I hate to admit it. By I agree. I did a human only once on my first playthrough as a Mage for the Extra skillpoint so I could do more magic. That was something I also did in the first game, I always gave my mage more skillpoints to get up more magic easily.

After having beaten the game a few times tho, I will NEVER pick a human, because the other races are just plain better. 10% more exp? Useless, expecially since there are more than 1 necklace in the game that gives 25% more. Also at end game, if no one has died, it only nets them about half a level higher than the others, which isn't much. The other races just meld with the classes better with the bonuses and their traits. Humans are 'balanced' in terms of Attributes, having 10 of everything. And that's it. Not balanced in Traits or Race Bonus.

Also in the higher settings, that 10% doesn't mean much if he is constantly dead and not getting exp...
imaginer

Post by imaginer »

steelsoldier wrote:Extra skill point if you pick it as a trait that is, which I dont find to be particular useful earlier on and I feel like there are non racial traits that can be far better than getting an extra skill point.
I disagree. The extra skill point is better than almost all the non-racial traits in the game.

Sure, one extra skill point doesn't sound like much.... Until you realize that it gives bonuses that are just as good or better than the other traits. For example, you can take Martial Training, which gives you +7 Accuracy with melee weapons.... Or you can take the skill point and put it in Accuracy, which gives you +10 Accuracy with everything.

You can take Tough, which gives you +20 Health.... Or you can take the skill point and put it in Athletics, which gives you the same +20 Health and gets you closer to the carry weight threshold.

You can take Aura, which gives you +20 Energy.... Or you can take the skill point and put it in Concentration, which gives you the same +20 Energy and gets you closer to the resting bonus, as well as giving you more spells.

The extra skill point is, like almost all the racial traits, just flat-out better than most if not all of the non-racial traits.