The design of special attack can be done better.

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
thomson

Re: The design of special attack can be done better.

Post by thomson »

Ichthyic wrote:then it's a failed design
No, it isn't. It's just a design you don't like. But please consider that others may have different opinions. For example, I like it a lot. I just don't use it all the time. I use it when approaching a monster as a first contact punch, then use regular attacks afterwards. Sometimes on other occasions as well, e.g. when want to jump in, hit someone hard and then run away. It's a valid strategy for many monsters that happen to be stronger than my party.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
eLPuSHeR

Post by eLPuSHeR »

I totally agree. I also like this approach more than the LoG1 one.
Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Is it possible (without access to the source code) to mod the game so that double-right-clicking on a weapon activates its special attack?
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

Is it possible (without access to the source code) to mod the game so that double-right-clicking on a weapon activates its special attack?
No I do not think it is possible to adjust or change almost any of the game mechanics at present.

On the note of the special abilities I have now started my 3rd playthrough and have factored in the addition of these abilities and I like them a lot now. I initially was more meh about them.
As it is my last playthrough I utilized certain mechanics often. Also etherweed is much more numerous throughout the game so using the abilities is not hindered in this manner. (even if you use a potion per special) It did hurt using a large mana pot for a gain of 40 mana sometimes.

I think the design works because you can not use it and have a perfectly fine experience.
Or you can make use of it and add new dimensions to battles. It is simply another layer.
There are also some pretty useful spells/utilities from those specials (light/invis to name two)

I still would love to be able to tinker with some of these mechanics even if it was just for my own personal amusement.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

If you got rid of it, no-one would ever basic attack unless out of energy since invariably the charged strikes are superior individually; making the choice to blitz or get everyone to make strong attacks is an interesting one. Mixing the two is even better; and you can charge whilst doing the old square-dance if you really want to.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

Charging the special attack last (after you've activated everyone else's regulars and they're all on cooldown) is the way to go.

If you want to have an easier time making use of them in the thick of things, that's the entire point of the Fighter's special ability.
Hyman Hardy

Post by Hyman Hardy »

antti wrote:Whether or not it is bad design is debatable and subjective but this is indeed the intended design. The goal for the combat in Grimrock was a game of rhythm, tactics and reaction instead of trying realistically simulate a group of four individuals
But I felt the rhythm froze when it's inevitable holding the button.
How could I change the wind of battle simply because there's nothing could do further??
To be honest I love this idea, it gives me the thrill to anticipate what's gonna happen next.
It's not a major issue on light weapon, but heavy weapon it takes like forever striking a blow.
That's why I give up using special attack with heavy cold steel friends. Make it faster would be better.
steelsoldier

Post by steelsoldier »

Whenever I use a special attack I always feel like the character is like:
-I can do this, step aside party.
Begins to charge, Boom
notreally

Post by notreally »

Hyman Hardy wrote:
antti wrote: It's not a major issue on light weapon, but heavy weapon it takes like forever striking a blow.
That's why I give up using special attack with heavy cold steel friends. Make it faster would be better.
The fighter class has a bonus to the charge rate. Makes sense that a trained fighter is better at pulling off a special manouevre than a barbarian (RAWR SMASH) or a knight (I'm just gonna hide behind this shield and heavy armor).

But still, an option to improve this would be nice. Some sort of weapon expertise skill that improves charge rate and damage or speed or something.
thufir

Post by thufir »

I rather like the design of the special attacks, if for no other reason that they give people a reason to try the Fighter. If you're worried about how much time and energy the special attacks take you could always try a Fighter in your group. I suspect most people aren't bothering with them because the other classes seem better but a Fighter with Bane looks to me like they could really dish it out...