I'm NOT Arachnophobic BUT...

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Tea

Re: I'm NOT Arachnophobic BUT...

Post by Tea »

Emualynk wrote:
StormVR6 wrote: By definition, a phobia is the extreme fear of something.

I must admit, I do find it difficult to comprehend how a fear of something, no matter how extreme, can translate to a virtual world. However, I'd never suggest it doesn't. I have the initial "Arrhhh" when something crawls around the corner, or a shadow is spotted out the corner of my eye, but that's what this kind of game is all about. And so far, I've had quite a few shocks!
It's an extreme and irrational fear. The irrational part is extremely important. I don't understand myself why I am arachnophobic. I just am. And I wasn't always.

"As briefly mentioned above, a specific phobia is a marked and persistent fear of an object or situation which brings about an excessive or unreasonable fear when in the presence of, or anticipating, a specific object; furthermore, the specific phobias may also include concerns with losing control, panicking, and fainting which is the direct result of an encounter with the phobia."
In other words Emualynk will expire at the start of level 3.
StormVR6

Post by StormVR6 »

Hmm, yes, the irrational part is important. This would explain how such a fear can actually, quite easily, be translated into a virtual world. So, how does this phobia affect you whilst playing games like LoG? Does it merely up the scare factor, or is it unwise to entertain such games?
It costs nothing to be nice.....but it can cost you much if you're not.
Emualynk

Post by Emualynk »

StormVR6 wrote:Hmm, yes, the irrational part is important. This would explain how such a fear can actually, quite easily, be translated into a virtual world. So, how does this phobia affect you whilst playing games like LoG? Does it merely up the scare factor, or is it unwise to entertain such games?
It makes it really really unfunny if I am somehow able to get past it (I was for Thief, but that was mainly because I didn't have to get too close to the spiders). But here I don't even want to try. The idea of triggering it itself makes me uncomfortable.
I get scared to death by games like amnesia but then I laugh about it. It's really nothing like this with spiders I feel genuinely bad after an episode.
skynes

Post by skynes »

StormVR6 wrote:
I must admit, I do find it difficult to comprehend how a fear of something, no matter how extreme, can translate to a virtual world. However, I'd never suggest it doesn't. I have the initial "Arrhhh" when something crawls around the corner, or a shadow is spotted out the corner of my eye, but that's what this kind of game is all about. And so far, I've had quite a few shocks!
It's difficult to explain a phobia, it's a disturbing revulsion that goes beyond the object that's feared and toward things around it and like it. Dark creatures that crawl weird or blobs with straggly legs, anything 'like' it in appearance, form or sound can often trigger phobias. (Which is why I never got past the ruined town in Half Life 2 with the black head crabs that screech and leap at you.)

How long that revolting feeling lasts varies. It's not just a shock then it's over, it can leave someone unsettled for hours.
In other words Emualynk will expire at the start of level 3.
Yeah, level 3 is freaking me the heck out. I handled one by itself alright, but with others saying they're having to take on up to 4 at once, I don't think I could maintain mental composure long enough to survive.
schiz0phren1c

Post by schiz0phren1c »

Emualynk wrote:
schiz0phren1c wrote:
Emualynk wrote:I am arachnophobic, I bought the game but I must admit that I'm a bit concerned about getting to the part where the spiders are.
could be good in a "face your fears therapy" type way...
Doesn't work that way unfortunately. And it's not a fear, it's a phobia.
Not meaning to sound petty Emu,
but if a Phobia IS a fear(albeit a severe and irrational one) a fact of which I was well aware...Then why did you correct me?,
I'm confused.
Emualynk

Post by Emualynk »

schiz0phren1c wrote:Not meaning to sound petty Emu,
but if a Phobia IS a fear(albeit a severe and irrational one) a fact of which I was well aware...Then why did you correct me?,
I'm confused.
Well the thing is, when people say fear they tend to think that it's just something rational and not serious.
Phobia means fear sure, but it's also a type of anxiety disorder.
More than once I've seen people toying with the phobias of other because they don't understand the difference.
schiz0phren1c

Post by schiz0phren1c »

Emualynk wrote:
schiz0phren1c wrote:Not meaning to sound petty Emu,
I'm confused.
Well the thing is, when people say fear they tend to think that it's just something rational and not serious.
Phobia means fear sure, but it's also a type of anxiety disorder.
More than once I've seen people toying with the phobias of other because they don't understand the difference.
Ah I see why now,
I myself understand the severity of phobias,
as I suffer from PTSD and Social Anxiety myself as a result of something that happened on my travels in South East Asia(I'm a travel writer)
therefore I would try not to toy with anyone with a similar condition to yourself.
I could tell you some stories from Thailand in particular that would probably not go down well with your phobia.but I won't!
Emualynk

Post by Emualynk »

schiz0phren1c wrote:Ah I see why now,
I myself understand the severity of phobias,
as I suffer from PTSD and Social Anxiety myself as a result of something that happened on my travels in South East Asia(I'm a travel writer)
therefore I would try not to toy with anyone with a similar condition to yourself.
I could tell you some stories from Thailand in particular that would probably not go down well with your phobia.but I won't!
Heh, the weirdest thing though is that I lived nine years in Ivory Coast and had friends who had dead mygals in boxes like some do with butterfly but at the time it wasn't really doing anything to me.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

I understand there are a lot of spiders on the 3rd level. Do you have someone at your house who could help you play through those parts. Of course once they start playing you might not be able to get them to stop. Thats the chance you have to take...lol
schiz0phren1c

Post by schiz0phren1c »

Emualynk wrote: Heh, the weirdest thing though is that I lived nine years in Ivory Coast and had friends who had dead mygals in boxes like some do with butterfly but at the time it wasn't really doing anything to me.
I know what you mean man,
it only took one incident to turn me from a total extrovert(musician,actor extrovert extraordinaire) into a bloody recluse!(not that kind of recluse!) :P