Level 5 Earth Wizard

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Sarumorpheus

Level 5 Earth Wizard

Post by Sarumorpheus »

I decided to try and have a pure Earth wizard in my party, and, while there are several setbacks (useless attacks against undead or golems), it's still fun to mess around with poison magic versus living monsters!

However, I've been Earth skill level 5 (Concentration 4, Alchemy 4) for a while and only know two offensive spells, namely the poison cloud and the poison bolt. I understand there are certain spells that need some skill points invested in other schools of magic as well, but I really wanted to try and go full Earth to have a kick-ass venomous ratling.

My question is, are there more Earth spells? Or do I really need to invest points in other schools to acquire more stuff? I've been trying several combinations on the rune table, but no luck so far. I also have not looked for an online spell-list because that would spoil it for me: I'd rather find the combination myself or stumble upon a scroll.

All I'd like to know is if this is all pure Earth has to offer, or if I should invest in another magic school.

PS: I know the following non-offensive spells: Light, Darkness, Individual Shield, Poison Resistance Boost for the entire group, and the giant cube-trap.

Thanks in advance. :)
Dr.Disaster

Re: Level 5 Earth Wizard

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Right now Earth has only two offensive spells: Poison Cloud and Poison Bolt.
Luj1

Post by Luj1 »

Yup earth is a little sub-par I'm guessing

Same as LoG 1 really

Really hoped for Stoneskin or a high damage single-target earth spell like Implosion

EDIT : AFAIK earth has 3 spells ? ??
Last edited by Luj1 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPG veteran
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

Magick is the same as LOG1 with the added utilities and meteor storm. Most of the heavy damage ones or most potent spells mix elements.
I do like the mixing aspect. However I would have liked to see added spells as well.

I wish we could adjust some of the core components directly and easily such as exp gains and damage modifiers of spells and resists etc. etc.
It is odd we can mod new dungeons but not directly change stats or other elements in the same fashion to override the vanilla system.
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

Earth magic only has three spells to itself: Poison Cloud, Poison Bolt, and Poison Shield. Rank 1 earth magic is also necessary for the water spell Ice Shards. This is about where the other elements stand: they all have three or four spells (depending on how you categorize things like Dispel). Concentration is actually the most significant magic skill, having five spells of its own and also being a requirement for Dispel, Invisibility, and all four of the Shield spells.

The advantage to Earth magic is that its bolt attack does not require any elemental crossover, and compared to Air magic, it appears quite early (rank 2 as opposed to rank 4). Fire and Cold both have cross-element requirements for their bolts, and appear a little later (rank 3). It does tend to be more situational due to how common poison resistance/immunity is, although against a susceptible creature, the DoT of Poison Cloud can be quite powerful.
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

At least as a pure earth wizard you have two offensive spells. As a pure fire wizard you would have only one. And as a pure water wizard you would have none.
Belligero

Post by Belligero »

Quick tip with poison magic: you can cast Poison Cloud through grated doors or portcullis against enemies that stand there and stare at you.

It is the only offensive spell in the game able to do this, so as long as you're going pure poison build, you may as well utilize this when possible.
Luj1

Post by Luj1 »

Belligero wrote:Quick tip with poison magic: you can cast Poison Cloud through grated doors or portcullis against enemies that stand there and stare at you.

It is the only offensive spell in the game able to do this, so as long as you're going pure poison build, you may as well utilize this when possible.
just wow, kudos for this !
RPG veteran
redsocialknight

Post by redsocialknight »

It's unlikely that a pure back-row wizard would specialize in earth.

But an earth battle mage can get a ranged spell for just two skill points, leaving him free to both max out a weapon and get to heavy armor proficiency in a reasonable amount of time.
Luj1

Post by Luj1 »

redsocialknight wrote:But an earth battle mage can get a ranged spell for just two skill points, leaving him free to both max out a weapon and get to heavy armor proficiency in a reasonable amount of time.
this
RPG veteran