Headache Wont Let Me Play LoG

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Neil79

Re: Headache Wont Let Me Play LoG

Post by Neil79 »

I felt a bit odd playing Grimrock as well, never EVER have I had that feeling while playing a dungeon crawler and I go back to the days of DM/EOB!...

Something in the game engine is causing it :cry: :cry: :cry:
The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! http://www.indieretronews.com/ : Indie Retro on twitter https://twitter.com/Indie_RetroNEWS
DJK

Post by DJK »

Neil79 wrote:I felt a bit odd playing Grimrock as well, never EVER have I had that feeling while playing a dungeon crawler and I go back to the days of DM/EOB!...

Aye, I played Eye a dozen of times, last time as recently as a few days ago in preperation for Grimrock. Ofcourse movement in Eye is "instant", no "motion blur or headbobbing" (2 things I always disable if possible in games).
oOldXman

Post by oOldXman »

DJK wrote:it's indeed motion blur for me, I have to "blink" while moving from tile to tile to easen the effect.. I can see it well when moving and looking at the wall, the "wall pillars" between two tiles get blurred while moving and then resharpen or something when you are on the next tile...

If it would stay sharp all the way I don't think i'd have it..
Blinking my friend is only the third worst enemy of every video gamer. The second is delay with bad luck being the first.

I hope that the developers will notice us. If what you say is true then perhaps they can ease pain at least of one of us.
Neil79 wrote:I felt a bit odd playing Grimrock as well, never EVER have I had that feeling while playing a dungeon crawler and I go back to the days of DM/EOB!...

Maybe the grid system and modern graphics do not work along so well? I still hope that this will work out somehow.
StormVR6

Post by StormVR6 »

I've been playing computer games for over 25 years, and thankfully I've never had this kind of problem. The only time I've come close is when I've been playing a 3D game on the PS3.

It's unfortunate for those of you who do suffer, but is it possible that it could be due to an eyesight issue? Eye strain can cause problems akin to what is being said here. I'm not saying this is the problem for everyone, but it could be for some. None of are getting younger, and what was once OK on our eyes years ago may not be today.

Whilst typing this I just had another quick look at LoG in motion; what Sir Richfield has suggested may help, the bobbing effect seems to be exasperated by the almost spasmodic tile movement. Maybe if the bobbing was eliminated (or at least have the option) and the tile movement was slightly smoother then some here would not be suffering. Hopefully the team can try something along these lines.
It costs nothing to be nice.....but it can cost you much if you're not.
DJK

Post by DJK »

Not 100% sure what is causing the effect but it's either motion blur or the headbobbing... my gut feeling tells me it's the motion blur when moving though... the best solution would be an option to disable both motion blur and headbobbing so you "glide to the next tile with no motion blur (textures don't go fuzzy while moving)...
StormVR6

Post by StormVR6 »

DJK wrote:Not 100% sure what is causing the effect but it's either motion blur or the headbobbing... my gut feeling tells me it's the motion blur when moving though... the best solution would be an option to disable both motion blur and headbobbing so you "glide to the next tile with no motion blur (textures don't go fuzzy while moving)...
Yep, I think you may be right. I've never been a fan of motion blur effects - only a handful of games in my opinion visually benefit from them. Although LoG isn't motion blurred to the max, it may be enough for the eyes/brain to struggle focusing, causing strain, leading to headaches, etc.

I'd personally like to see the tile transition slightly smoothed out nonetheless.
It costs nothing to be nice.....but it can cost you much if you're not.
oOldXman

Post by oOldXman »

I agree with men above. This may or may not be the cause. We will never know without trying. I was also thinking about completly skipping the turning animation. Although this is a drastic way to deal with this, it is also the ultimate way. It would look kind of like teleporting to another position, with looking around using RMB still working as it is now. I think think this issue does not include walking forward, it is only turning around.
Neil79

Post by Neil79 »

StormVR6 wrote: It's unfortunate for those of you who do suffer, but is it possible that it could be due to an eyesight issue? .
I wear glasses so I can't do anymore than that :p, but it's not an eye site issue it's actually down to an inner ear inbalance and how the brain deals with it... Because headbob/motion blur is not a natural thing the balance cannot be compensated. The only way this needs to be sorted is by those two being turned off

Would be nice to have a developer come in and talk to us
The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! http://www.indieretronews.com/ : Indie Retro on twitter https://twitter.com/Indie_RetroNEWS
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

I suggest people who are having this problem..Take many breaks from the game. It will give your brain, and eyes time to recover.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Actually come to think of it. I have a slight headache myself..right at the temples, after playing several hours today. And I have never had any problem with motion sickness at all.