SPOILER - Level 2 teleport? Idiocy or bug?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
pi4t

Re: SPOILER - Level 2 teleport? Idiocy or bug?

Post by pi4t »

Alternatively, if you have a delay between pressing backwards and moving, you could try pressing S before you click. In my experience, the game seems to be faster at processing clicks than key presses.
bengalifan

Post by bengalifan »

At least we know, and you've got to admit, when a 6+ year old computer only has to change settings for one area, that's dang good compatibility!
Troik

Post by Troik »

just wanted to say, my system is not extremely outdated, certainly a bit better than mid-range (3.2Ghz Quadcore Geforce 580) and I admit I'm in my thirties, so maybe my twitch-finger isn't what it used to be, but I tried this about 50 times now, clicking the rock in the wall and instantly walking three steps back, but the forcefield always gets me. I make it almost through it, but not fully. Could Vsync be an issue that I'm forcing the frame-rate down to 60?
Bungles

Post by Bungles »

This is an absolutely game breaking bug that needs to be addressed immediately.

I was playing tonight at one of the usual Youtube reviewer's homes, and on a slightly oldish or cheapish laptop, this puzzle is End of Game for players, with no warning at all as to why you're stuck (because otherwise the graphics seem perfect, even on highish settings on a lowish machine). We only realised because we were playing two games on two different machines. Because it comes so early, it's going to be massively detrimental to first impressions/reviews.

Don't let this hiccup blemish such a spectacular game!
cokebottle

Post by cokebottle »

On my 4 year old system (2.4GHz C2Q, ATi 5770) I had no problems at all doing this with all settings at max. I do have vsync turned off, though.
Troik

Post by Troik »

just re-did this, turned of V-sync (200fps in 1920x1200 my poor card) and then also reduced the quality settings to low. After 2 tries I got through the force-field. After turning everything on again I tried this again. Here is the mistake I made: From my Dungeon Master Times I was used to never keep the direction keys pressed because running into walls hurt, so I tapped the S keys three times and it never worked.
This time I just left the S key pressed and that (somehow) was quicker then three buffered keystrokes. It's very close, even with this it only works about 50% of the time, but I hope now everybody can make it.

EDIT: And remember if anybody in your group is carring to much (load is in yellow) then you move slower which makes this much harder.
Last edited by Troik on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mindpuppet

Post by mindpuppet »

Ok, I'm stuck where I transport down to the holding cells, somehow I transported the shield guy out of a cage and killed him. now there is two square buttons on the wall, and they don't seem to do anything other than move a bag around that is in the locked cells. What do i do?
Troik

Post by Troik »

mindpuppet wrote:Ok, I'm stuck where I transport down to the holding cells, somehow I transported the shield guy out of a cage and killed him. now there is two square buttons on the wall, and they don't seem to do anything other than move a bag around that is in the locked cells. What do i do?
Obviously a different problem, so in the future I would suggest to use a new thread for that.
But to answer your question, you already figured out that the button move the bag from field to field...have you also noticed that one field is outside the cells?
Banshee

Re: SPOILER - Level 2 teleport? Idiocy or bug?-Game crash

Post by Banshee »

So I am having this problem too at the level 2 force field. I'm playing on a 2008 Mac laptop, version 10.7.5. I have the options at the lowest possible settings but my system is still not fast enough for me to run backwards during the force field shut off. The last thing I tried was adjusting my screen resolution. This did not help, ultimately the game crashed and I am now unable to re-start. I've tried to send a message to Almost Human as instructed in the error message but apparently they don't exist anymore? Can anyone point me to the correct entity to help resolve that issue?

So, even if I will be able to start the game again, I will still have the problem of the force field. Is there a patch or a work around that someone has found other than putting game settings at lowest possible? Is my system just too old?
FlashSoul

Re: SPOILER - Level 2 teleport? Idiocy or bug?-Game crash

Post by FlashSoul »

You could always teleport your party on the other side by using the console (there's info around here on how to do that. Search :D).
Banshee wrote:I've tried to send a message to Almost Human as instructed in the error message but apparently they don't exist anymore?
Huh? What do you mean? Who told you that? Almost Human still exists.