Slow Saving

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
Ixnatifual

Re: Slow Saving

Post by Ixnatifual »

I was wondering why. Thanks for the explanation. It still saves reasonably fast on my system. Maybe 3 seconds or so, but indeed that is much slower than LoG1. But no problem for me at least.
aaneton

Post by aaneton »

I guess this is where SSD comes handy, saves for me are probably 1-2 sec, also loading times are abit longer than LoG1 but not much.
My Grimrock mod (LoG1): The Onkalo Project
My Android (and windows desktop) game: Balloon Gentleman
Eldur

Post by Eldur »

antti wrote:...

So, going with the big saved games was a definite improvement from a developer's standpoint even though it has its disadvantages. I hope this clarifies the situation a little. :)
I think that's great, nothing is worse than a broken save due to patches :)

But still I'm wondering why it takes a 2-3 second freeze to write under 2MB onto a SSD... I believe it's not what is saved, but rather how it's saved. I've played games with bigger save files (5-10MB) that don't freeze at all when saving, even on HDD. I'd be glad if this could be optimized, but well, it isn't a very big deal either.
SpoilerShow
Gigabyte GA Z77-D3H (BIOS v.23b)
Intel i5 3570k
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G (344.16)
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB CL8 DDR3-1600
Corsair Force GT SSDs 120GB + 240GB / ASUS U3S6
SB X-Fi Elite Pro (6.0.1.1375)
AsgarZigel

Post by AsgarZigel »

@Eldur: I'd guess it's "constructing" the save file from the game-state that takes so long, not the saving itself.

Where it gets really annoying for me is reloading a save after a game over, especially in harder areas when it happens multiple times. Is there nothing that could be done to speed it up? Maybe an option to hold the latest save in memory?

It is interesting that everything is dynamic for modding puropses though. Does that mean you could make scripts that change the map itself, like letting the player dig out dungeons or build walls?
antti

Post by antti »

AsgarZigel wrote:It is interesting that everything is dynamic for modding puropses though. Does that mean you could make scripts that change the map itself, like letting the player dig out dungeons or build walls?
Yep, this should be possible, although it will take some effort from the modder's side that correct wall and pillar objects are placed in the newly digged out areas and that old objects are cleaned up nicely.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Obyvvatel

Post by Obyvvatel »

What about quicksaves, because they cause the game to crash, unlike regular saves. The same thing goes with life crystals.
eLPuSHeR

Post by eLPuSHeR »

By the way... why are the savegames compressed? Shouldn't be faster and less problematic just saving them in uncompressed form?.
Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)
minmay

Post by minmay »

Grimrock 2's saves would be about 4 times larger if not compressed - about 6.5 MB each for the standard dungeon. That doesn't seem less problematic to me.
And zlib is pretty fast, it takes my computer less than half a second to decompress and re-compress a save. Since it takes several seconds to save in the actual game, I suspect most of the time is spent in some other aspect of serialization rather than the compression.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
eLPuSHeR

Post by eLPuSHeR »

You are right, ZLIB is pretty fast.
Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)