LoG 2 very poor performance...

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
Dr.Disaster

Re: LoG 2 very poor performance...

Post by Dr.Disaster »

ScroLL wrote:I'm getting a similar framerate issue. In a Dungeon environment my game runs at least 60fps, but in forest environments it drops down to around 18fps. I've already disabled "wait for vertical sync" which helps a little, but the only option that makes a real difference in frame rate is turning render quality to low which solves the framerate, but makes the forest look rather ugly and thin in comparison.

Processor: AMD FX-6100 six-core ~3.3GHz
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
16GB RAM
Seems normal to me. The GT 640 is a rather small card. It's performance is about 50% more than the mininum requirement for the game.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

sarvrin wrote:I am back with some test results. Please bare in mind that I am not an expert at this so I will just provide you with some raw data :) In my opinion, the game does not utilize all the power at its disposal. Then again, it does not need to because it is not that taxing on the system. So why the low framerates? :< halp!

This is the highest usage recorded:

http://s7.postimg.org/roo4yqf6z/bandica ... 55_239.jpg

GPU operates at maximum clocks. CPU when in maximum performance mode, 3.6GHZ. Bare in mind that this baby runs Shadow of Mordor in 1600x900 on High/Medium details on a stable 50+ frames :<...
The important graph in that picture is the GPU usage graph which is pretty high with 80%.
Is this taken in a spot you get low fps or in general good spots?
sarvrin

Post by sarvrin »

More accurate reading. This is recorded while in the "Forgotten River". The 'I kill your fps' region.

More accurate reading from a dungeon environment. FPS is crazy here too. Ranging from 55 to 35 in some areas.

Playing with a torch and without a torch in complete dark does not impact the FPS. Same in open areas. Shadows or less shadows, still low FPS in the "..River"
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

sarvrin wrote:Image

More accurate reading. This is recorded while in the "Forgotten River". The 'I kill your fps' region.
What PrefCap Reason does GPU-Z display, when you mouse-over those green lines in it's graph? I know that grey is "Util" and blue is "VRel", but no idea what green is.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

Just noticed, I have a bad performance myself.

system: Win7 64bit, 1920x1080, AMD GPU Radeon HD 5670 (2010), AMD CPU X2 240

Twigroot forest:
everything low settings: 28FPS
Rendering quality high, everything else low: 15FPS
Rendering quality high, everything high: 12FPS

Twigroot Tunnels:
everything low settings: 112FPS
Rendering quality high, everything else low: 81FPS
Rendering quality high, everything high: 38FPS

Conclusion (the same as with LoG1): the available options don't allow low power system to play the game with reasonable FPS everywhere

PS:
interestingly, similar as Log1, you can use <1280x1024 resolutions (800x600 and lower) with display mode 2, seems mostly playable (beside the loadscreen, like in LoG1)
320x200
ImageImageImage

PPS: can confirm, ALT-Tabbing while loading / system changes crashes reproducible the system
Last edited by badhabit on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

badhabit wrote:1920x1080, AMD GPU Radeon 5670 (2010)
What did you expect from a GPU that barely makes it past the games minimum requirement?
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
badhabit wrote:system: Win7, 1920x1080, AMD GPU Radeon 5670 (2010), AMD CPU X2 240
What did you expect from a gpu that barely makes it past the games minimum requirement?
>30fps in everything low? Don't think this is unreasonable.
Would be funny if I had to update my system again for LoG2, like last time for LoG1. (While all other games I do, run OK) ;)
Last edited by badhabit on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sarvrin

Post by sarvrin »

Low powered systems may have issues but my system is no where near low powered :P The game itself does not look like a high performance system game too.

As for the bars. The green ones stand for Pwr, limited by the total power limit.

Btw:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rad ... 533-8.html

Just Radeon 5670 or Radeon HD 5670?
Last edited by sarvrin on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

sarvrin wrote:Low powered systems may have issues but my system is no where near low powered :P The game itself does not look like a high performance system game too.

As for the bars. The green ones stand for Pwr, limited by the total power limit.
Then it's like eispfogel and me suspected: your GPU demands more power than the system can or wants to give him. Dunno how to get past that, sorry.
eLPuSHeR

Post by eLPuSHeR »

LoG2 is running quite steady for me (indoors, outdoors). Haven't checked the actual FPS but it feels quite smooth. My rig is almost 7 years old...

AMD Phenom X4 (Agena) 9600 BE (without overclocking)
nVidia GeForce GTX 600Ti (3GB GDDR5)
4 GB DDR2 800Mhz
Windows 7 x64

I have VSYNC forced ON in nVidia's Control Panel. I do not like screen tearing. On a more technical note I also have USWC (Uncached Speculative Write Combining) disabled for videocard. USWC is enabled by default under WinXP and newer.
Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)