Extremly High GPU Usage

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Stalkingwolf

Re: Extremly High GPU Usage

Post by Stalkingwolf »

same problem here.
Nvidia Gefore 260GTX
1920x1080 everything on high, vertical sync = off.
Enabling vsync helps.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster
zokathra

Post by zokathra »

Ditto, would love to cap the fps. Vsync helps with overheating but just makes it laggy.

Anything I can add to the .cfg? (which is in My Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock for anyone wondering)
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

Turned vsync on when I heard my GPU fans screaming, which does not happen often.
Halk

Post by Halk »

If your PC is overheating then you have a hardware problem. You need to make sure you have proper airflow inside your computer case. If you added a graphics card to your computer you may not have added sufficient airflow.

The game however does cause a fair bit of GPU load, and if it didn't do this, you wouldn't come across the problems.

Remember that while this looks as if it's tiled movement, there is a full 3D engine there, so it's not as simple graphically as you might imagine.
WarriorMonk

Post by WarriorMonk »

I've got a GTX 560Ti and I noticed its fans were running very fast. I checked and Legend of Grimrock is running at about 160 frames a second during gameplay - putting GPU usage above 98% and heating it to 94C. A simple framerate limit would be a welcome feature I feel. I'm using triple buffering now to limit it to 60fps.
Halk

Post by Halk »

There is one, vsync... that limits it to your monitors refresh rate. Is that not working?
Terrovar

Post by Terrovar »

My gpu overheated as well. Turning on vsync did help....some, but this game is running way hotter than any other game I play. I am playing on a laptop, btw, and I even have a cooler fan under it. It is still pushing unreasonable temps.

I had this same problem with the same laptop back when I used to play WoW. The only thing that fixed it was that there was a command that would let you set you max fps. When I set my max fps to about 40, the gpu temp dropped by about 40 degrees C.

I think this game NEEDS a max fps option. I think I read somewhere that laptops in particular try to run at the most fps possible and this makes them heat up quickly.