Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.

Show off your Legend of Grimrock art, fiction, music or whatever!
Sir Tawmis

Re: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Been posting these on another site I run, and made a header. Don't want to bog the forum down (pretty big, PNG file header, but you can see it with the latest version of the story here!)
http://neverendingnights.com/archives/2306
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Okay, the only thing I can say is that I'm loving the story more and more. You're doing an amazing job here!
I can't wait to see what the rattling can do in battle. :) And what spell will the new spell components be used to create. :)
I'm looking forward to the next part.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

AnnElfwind wrote:Okay, the only thing I can say is that I'm loving the story more and more. You're doing an amazing job here!
I can't wait to see what the rattling can do in battle. :) And what spell will the new spell components be used to create. :)
I'm looking forward to the next part.
Thank you so much for reading it and the very kind comments!

I never know where I am going this from segment to segment. I essentially write this - real quick, not too much thought - just to keep myself writing creatively. They're the equivalent of doing a quick (mental) workout! I enjoy not having an idea of where I am going with this - because that means each time I add to it, I am making it up on the spot, right then and there!

So what Coy, the Ratling will do, or what spells may come from the components Coy had (or perhaps where he even got them!) - I have no idea! But I enjoy coming back and writing these characters, who are just trying to survive the dungeon of Grimrock! I try to make each character stand out individually so that each of them is unique in their own way (besides the fact that all five are different races).
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

“Honestly!” Tawmis cursed. “Who does this?”

“I –tic- would assume that the Goromorgs,” Blaz’tik began to explain.

“I don’t care!” Tawmis interrupted him. “It was a rhetorical question!” Tawmis stared at the shimmering lights in front of him. This was the first time they had come across something like this. Not trusting magic, he had thrown a stone into it – only to discover it vanished. It had either incinerated the stone, or Blaz’tik seemed to believe it teleported the stone somewhere. Tawmis was in no mood to find out if Blaz’tik was wrong, and that the stone had, in fact, been incinerated.

Tawmis took a step forward and stepped on the tile. All the shimmering lights around him shifted, changing the path that was once clear to him. “Who does this?” Tawmis repeated.

Blaz’tik was about to continue explaining his answer, but a firm hand from Taren Bloodhorn, the minotaur, placed on the insectoid’s shoulder, told the young wizard not to utter a single word as to who possibly created this death trap.

“There’s a button on the wall to the right,” Coy, the Ratling pointed out. The problem was, there was no clear path to that button at the moment. All the tiles around it had the shimmering lights. Tawmis took another stone from his pouch and threw it with all his might to see if it would pass through the shimmering light fast enough to hit the button the wall. The shimmering lights, naturally, devoured the stone as soon as it passed into it. “I hate magic,” Tawmis muttered beneath his breath. Tawmis stood rigid on the tile and looked back, “All right, Blaz, where do I go from here?”

“Judging by the pattern –tic- in which the lights moved, when you stepped forward, -tic- I would say that your best option is left,” Blaz’tik replied. After a moment, he amended, “Although, -tic- a step back might also fit the pattern I believe I am seeing.”

“Which is it, Blaz?” Tawmis yelled.

Blaz’tik floundered, “It could –tic- be either one.”

“Have I mentioned how much I hate magic,” Tawmis muttered to no one in particular.

Blaz’tik was, once again, about to answer Tawmis’ comment, but the minotaur’s hand had gone from the insectoid’s shoulder to his mandible mouth. The insectoid nodded his understanding and whispered, once Taren had removed his hand, “If he hates magic so much, why did he volunteer to go into that room before the rest of us?”

“Because, despite his hatred of magic,” Taren explained, “and despite the façade he places up, Tawmis is truly a kind and generous heart. There’s no way he would allow any of us to risk our lives by his command, unless he was to try it first.”

Tawmis lifted his foot to step to the left and just inches before stepping on the tile – he stopped. He looked at the tile behind him. He turned and stepped on the tile behind him, hoping that changing his initial gut feeling was not going to get him incinerated. He waited for the pain but it never came.

“Interesting,” Blaz’tik said, his mandibles clacking with excitement. The shimmering lights had shifted yet again. “What –tic!- made you take the step back rather than go to the left?”

“Because,” Tawmis said, taking in a deep breath. “To the left would have gotten me to the button faster. I suspect the mages were counting on people thinking with that kind of mentality. So I took a step back, which seems the least logical when it comes to progress.”

Blaz’tik studied the new formation and path of lights. Though there had only been nine tiles – three across, three wide – it had taken nearly two hours of Blaz’tik analyzing the pattern before he had successfully managed to direct – with often times, Tawmis being forced to make a choice between two options – to the button, which opened the door on the far end, to actually reaching the door. Once Tawmis made it to the door, there was another tile that disabled the shimmering lights, allowing the rest of them to safely pass through the room. (Though Blaz’tik complained that he would have liked to have known if the stone had been disintegrated or if it had been teleported).

Blaz’tik had carefully navigated them through a number of magical traps, until they came to a room with one of the shimmering lights in the middle, with nowhere else to go. “We must have missed something,” Tawmis said as he began marching back. “A secret passage. A doorway. Something.”

“I’m fairly certain the lizard or I would have spotted something,” Coy said, tilting his head to Silvertan who was leaning against the wall.

“We go back and double check,” Tawmis demanded. “We look again.”

While they discussed matters, Blaz’tik edged towards the shimmering light. He reached his insectoid arm within the light and felt it tingle. He felt the sensation run down his arm, to his shoulder, to his chest, to his entire body.

Tawmis turned towards where he had last seen Blaz’tik and asked, “Is there any way that magic might have – wait. Where’s Blaz? Where did Blaz go?”

Coy turned his Ratling head, his whiskers twitching, “He was here – just a moment ago! He was here.”

Tawmis looked at the shimmering light in the center and whispered, “Oh no…”

Elsewhere in Grimrock, Blaz’tik felt his body tingle again.

He took a deep breath, as if he had been holding his breath underwater and looked around. “Well, that –tic!- was a most interesting sensation. Like being –tic!- torn apart and put back together again in –tic!- mere seconds! So it would seem –tic!- those shimmering lights are indeed teleporters. Now the question –tic!- begs to wonder, where am I now?”

Blaz’tik heard a hissing sound behind him and quickly spun around. His eyes, if they could have, would have widened in fear at the sight behind him. What appeared to be an enormous lizard, whose skin was ice blue. Cold misty air, came out of its nostrils, like smoke, wafting into the air.

“Oh my,” Blaz’tik stammered as he reached for his spell components. He threw the sandalwood shavings into the air, squished the forioan mushrooms between his fingers, which gave off a burning sensation, then with his fingers, gestured, making a triangle, followed two symbols running parallel, and finally raised his hands over his head. He had never done such a powerful spell before, and he wasn’t sure if he had done it right – and for a brief moment thought his life was over – until he felt the flame building between his fingers, and an enormous fireball launched from his hands, striking the lizard with so much force that it sent it – and him – flying back.

He quickly scrambled to his feet, expecting the lizard to charge him, and was quite surprised when he saw its charred remains lying there, unmoving. “Well,” Blaz’tik said, “I hope –tic!- Silvertan isn’t upset I have killed one of his descendants!”

Blaz’tik began moving through the dungeon, moving slowly, cautiously, unsure what else he would encounter. While he was glad to see he was right – that the shimmering light had been a teleportation device and not a disintegrator – he wasn’t all that thrilled with the idea of being separated from the others.

TO BE CONTINUED?

Tawmis Sanarius – Human (Son of Contar Stoneskull and Yennica Whitefeather) - Warrior
Taren Bloodhorn – Minotaur - Warrior
Blaz’tik – Insectoid - Mage
Silvertan – Lizardman - Rogue
Coy – Ratling from the Isle of Nex – Rogue
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Portals! I forgot about those! Very nice chapter. :)
Also, I have a question. I know and understand that this is written on a whim, but do you think that if you ever get to a 'last' chapter, there will be a fight against the cube?
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

AnnElfwind wrote:Portals! I forgot about those! Very nice chapter. :)
Also, I have a question. I know and understand that this is written on a whim, but do you think that if you ever get to a 'last' chapter, there will be a fight against the cube?
Yes, since the party had not yet encountered teleporters, I figured I'd have some fun with it. It was also a nice chance to highlight Blaz'tik (the insectoid mage) who I feel is very much in the background. (Which is why I separated him by the end of the chapter, so that I am forced to do more with him). And now the rest of the party is without a mage to figure out the magical things.

And, while I have no "plans" from segment to segment - I do, indeed, eventually want them to encounter the Cube! (Especially with Legend of Grimrock 2 coming out, I can't help but feel like the story would progress over to the Isle of Nex, just like the game!) So I don't know when or how they will encounter the Cube - but that's somewhere in there, so that the story can progress to follow the Legend of Grimrock 2 setting! Obviously, I have taken quite a few liberties (for example, adding the 5th member, Coy, who is a Ratling, a reference to LOG2) and being able to have characters move independent (Tawmis moving across the teleporting room, and Blaz'tik being teleported by himself away from the others).

The room in the most recent chapter with all the teleporters that Tawmis is trying to walk through is a reference to the room in the Archives (Level 4) with all the teleporters. But clearly the story is a little out of order from the actual game, because the party already encountered a Goromorg, which actually don't show up until Level 10 in the game!)

All that to say - yes, while I don't know when, where or how - the party will eventually encounter the final boss of the first game!

And as always, thank you for taking the time to read it! I hope it's entertaining!
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

Thanks so much for clarifying this to me. :) I'm glad that the cube will be eventually there, as I'm very curious how it would be approached with the different number of characters (different than any combination the game allows).
And I love the mage separation idea. Though it would also be interesting if for example Tawmis got separated.
Or maybe a segment where each member is on their own. Like, some portal going crazy and they entering it one by one and each ending somwhere else.
And the reference to the archives was nice too. It somehow makes it feel more like the original dungeon. :)
Can't wait for teh next part.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

AnnElfwind wrote:Thanks so much for clarifying this to me. :) I'm glad that the cube will be eventually there, as I'm very curious how it would be approached with the different number of characters (different than any combination the game allows).
Well, I have taken a number of liberties already with the story compared to the game. So, for story telling purposes, I am sure it won't be exactly like the game when they encounter the Cube.
AnnElfwind wrote: And I love the mage separation idea. Though it would also be interesting if for example Tawmis got separated.
It would be interesting if Tawmis got separated, because the group falls on him as a leader. And it'd be interesting how Taren would react being separated from Tawmis, since there's a blood debt there. (It's very much like Han Solo and Chewbacca... although, the inspiration of their friendship was inspired more by the HBO show Rome and the relationship between Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo).
AnnElfwind wrote: Or maybe a segment where each member is on their own. Like, some portal going crazy and they entering it one by one and each ending somewhere else.
That may yet happen! But having them all separated would be difficult, without taking a lot of liberties (like I haven't taken so many already right? LOL). For example, when Blaz'tik killed the Ice Lizard with a single fireball spell. That'd never happen in the game, but added (I think) a nice dramatic element to the story!
AnnElfwind wrote: And the reference to the archives was nice too. It somehow makes it feel more like the original dungeon. :)
Can't wait for teh next part.
Hah! I put in the reference to The Archives because I am currently replaying LOG1 (I lost my original saves), and that's where I happen to be (the one room with all the teleporters). I make reference in the story that it took hours figuring out the room. It's because it took me forever to figure it out as well. I refused to go online and check what the sequence was. So I'd just go, save, try a few steps, restore, try a few steps, restore, until I got it right. So that whole part was a reflection of me playing that part of the game currently!
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Tawmis jumped around the corner of the wall, a blast of searing flame right behind him. He quickly pressed himself against the wall, panting heavily. “What is that thing?”

“Would it be a good time to mention,” Silvertan hissed, peering around the corner, staring at the floating, flaming, armored figure, then back to Tawmis, “that the wizard would know what it is called?”

Tawmis stared at Silvertan with his own searing gaze. “No,” Tawmis finally said. “It would not be a good time to mention that. I realize that Blaz got either incinerated or teleported away. And I do realize that it would be useful to have Blaz here to deal with whatever that thing is over there.”

Taren, the minotaur, stood next to Tawmis, having been too slow to escape the blast, and suffered some small burns. “Whatever it is,” Taren snarled, his nostrils flaring, “it does not want us to pass in that general direction.”

“We could try going around it,” Silvertan mentioned.

“Great idea,” Tawmis spat, “except this is the only way forward. Every other way lead to a dead end or back up a level. If we want to get to the bottom of this cursed dungeon, we need to find a way around that thing – whatever it is.”

Another flaming blast shot through the tunnel, striking the far wall, sending uncomfortable waves of heat around them.

“What do we do if that thing decides to come down this tunnel?” Silvertan hissed.

“My first plan?” Tawmis said, smiling coyly. “I was going to throw you on it. You know, since you’re cold blooded. Figured you might cancel one another out.”

“Your sense of humor eludes me,” Silvertan returned with a distained look. The lizard-man looked around and hissed, “Where’s the Ratling? The damn Ratling’s gone! I knew we couldn’t trust him! He’s scattered! He’s left us! Probably knew this was a trap! He probably knew a way out of here!”

“We will deal with that later,” Tawmis growled.

“Deal with it later? We lost the mage already, and now the Ratling is gone too!” Silvertan growled.

“You were the one that wanted to be thrown in this dungeon alone,” Taren reminded Silvertan. “Was that not your plan originally?”

Silvertan now shot the massive minotaur a disgruntle look, but quickly looked away, unable to maintain the courage to lock eyes with the massive beast. “That may have been my plan originally, yes,” Silvertan admitted, “but I see now I underestimated the horrors of Grimrock. So yes, it may have been my plan, and yes I was wrong. Is that what you wanted to hear?”

“Son of a,” Tawmis whispered.

“What? Is that not a good enough apology?” Silvertan growled.

“No,” Tawmis replied, “look.”

Silvertan peeked around the corner cautiously, and much to his surprise, saw Coy, the Ratling sneaking up on the fiery creature, dagger drawn.

“How did he get over there?” Silvertan instantly asked.

“Does it matter?” Tawmis growled. “We need to keep that thing occupied so it doesn’t notice that Coy’s behind it.”

Tawmis jumped into the tunnel and began taunting the fiery creature, who unleashed another blast. Tawmis dove out of the way again, but once more the blast hit the far wall, sending waves of uncomfortable heat as it exploded.

Coy drove his dagger deep into the fiery creature’s back – hoping, despite having no physical body that he could sever whatever tie it had to life. The armor began to shake and Coy released the dagger and ran for cover, just in time as it exploded.

Tawmis quickly stood and ran over to Coy to help put out some of the fires that had ignited on Coy’s fur from the exploding embers. Silvertan ran over next, “How did you get behind that thing, Ratling?”

“I found a small tunnel, one that perhaps myself, and you,” he pointed to Silvertan, “could have fit through, because of bodies; our bones are more flexible. But there’s no way the human, and especially the minotaur were going to fit. I could have kept going, leaving you three behind – but I won’t survive down here without your help, so I knew I had to come back and help.”

Silvertan wanted to say something – find a way to accuse the Ratling of something – he still did not trust the Ratling – but there was nothing he could say that would have put the Ratling in bad light. His actions were, if anything, heroic.

Silvertan extended his hand to the Ratling and helped him stand. “It was either brave or foolish taking a chance that a backstab was going to destroy that thing. I don’t suppose you found any trace of the mage in this tunnel?” Silvertan hissed.

“I’m afraid not,” Coy replied.

Elsewhere, within the Dungeon, Blaz’tik suddenly woke up.

“That –tic!- was certainly a weird dream,” he said, his mandibles clicking. In his dream he had heard the voice of an unknown creature beckoning him forward. All he could remember from the dream was the voice… and gears… so many gears…

Tawmis Sanarius – Human (Son of Contar Stoneskull and Yennica Whitefeather) - Warrior
Taren Bloodhorn – Minotaur - Warrior
Blaz’tik – Insectoid - Mage
Silvertan – Lizardman - Rogue
Coy – Ratling from the Isle of Nex – Rogue
AnnElfwind

Post by AnnElfwind »

And the cube makes it's first appearance. :D

Oh, and was that fire creature an ugaridian? Or was it some other kind of fire creature? (Perhaps something from LoG2?)
I'm so looking forward to the next part! It's great!