Restart after 15-30 seconds of runtime

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
roaet

Restart after 15-30 seconds of runtime

Post by roaet »

Doing absolutely nothing in the game (just watching the menu in the beginning), or actually interacting with the game causes my computer to restart after 15-30 seconds. If I shut the game down prior to 15 seconds it does not restart.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/11/2012, 14:16:44
Machine name: BAHAMUT
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: DELL Inc.
System Model: XPS 730X
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12278MB RAM
Page File: 2306MB used, 22249MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

I have checked all System logs and found nothing of note.
Last edited by roaet on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kthanid

Re: Restart after 15-30 seconds of runtime

Post by Kthanid »

Probably GPU overheating... Try enabling vertical sync and it should hopefully stop happening.
roaet

Post by roaet »

V-Sync fixed it. I am amazed at how little GPU is used with V-sync on.

Please make a post about this devs. Some people really dislike having their PC restart.
Nerkoon

Post by Nerkoon »

roaet wrote:V-Sync fixed it. I am amazed at how little GPU is used with V-sync on.

Please make a post about this devs. Some people really dislike having their PC restart.
Actually that kind of restart is your computer crashing and a good way to tell that your computer cooling or PSU is insufficent. With proper cooling and PSU computer does not crash no matter how much you stress it.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

Nerkoon is absolutely right. Regardless of whether vsync being enabled fixed your problem in the short term, your underlying problem is one that should be addressed. Your fans might not be sufficient, you might have heat sinks clogged with dust, or any number of other issues causing heat to build up more than it should (or a combination of these). You probably want to investigate it a bit.
Tiqon

Post by Tiqon »

You should read the other Topic here about GPU overload... its not just this one player.... we are ALOT who experience this, working/clean fans or not....
That's a Q in Tiqon, not a G. Thanks, that'll be all, carry on.
Nerkoon

Post by Nerkoon »

Tiqon wrote:You should read the other Topic here about GPU overload... its not just this one player.... we are ALOT who experience this, working/clean fans or not....
Does not matter. While I agree that vsync should be on by default, it does not change the fact that your computer has underlying instability which the game just shows you. And it does not have to be cooling. For example low quality power supplies can drop power lines too low under heavy stress and crash computer because of that.