New monster proposals

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
axe11154

Re: New monster proposals

Post by axe11154 »

well I had my own thread then noticed this today so...

third time making this thread... each time it auto logs me out :(
So yah. I just thought id throw my hat into the ring again, my last ideas were based souly on the idea of returning to grimrock but I guess it makes since we wouldn't see that here.

The Forgotten: On the island of nex, a poisoning fruit, it constantly grows with out content, to those who eat it, a dream for their goodbye, for they have forgotten... why they had to say good bye.
The Nex Fruit is a large red fruit filled with tasty juice. To those who eat the fruit they will never be the same. It wears at the mind till the spinning cogs break. The forgotten are mad people who were imprisoned on nex and ate the fruit. may killing their fellow prisoners after enjoying its taste. The forgotten may of been strong warriors at one time but now are nothing but weak minded shells. They only wear rags and arnt a threat to a seasoned fighter but they often may have a key or item in their hand thats needed. They come in any playable race.

The Abandoned: Similar to the forgotten the Abandoned are people who ate the fruit but were able to keep their mind some what steady. The fruit however still damaged them making them hear and see things. They are still fighting for their mind and might be loosing. They are often wielding swords and casting spells in random directions. Players will only half to fight them if they walk into their line of sight. They are valuable because of their rusted armor that may be good as short term armor for your team. They also have a tenancy to wander, and if they see a creature will start fighting it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock Backs: Large 2 headed turtles who stand on their hind legs, Rock backs are a race of creatures who have lived on the island for centuries, They how ever are not the builders of the structures who see on the island as Rock Backs see no reason to build houses when their homes are always on their back. Rock backs come in two varieties
Shell Smashers: Rockbacks wielding a Huge shell they most likely cut off one of their own kind and a large Wooden club Shell smashers arnt stupid. They will wield their shield in front of them till they are about to attack. they are slow and hard to kill, it might be better to out run them
Flail Crackers: Rockbacks who wield two large flails. Players who ever fought the Warden will be right at home. These Rock backs are loners and will never fight you in a group or call for help.

Hydras:Pets to the Rock backs often seen with Shell smashers Hydras are large four headed tortoises who spit acid. They are easy to kill when their heads are out as four hits with anything to their heads will kill them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goblins: At one time slaves to the rich Goblins are a Mean spirited bunch. Ether working just for something thats shiny to fighting for the shiny out right. be careful with them.... they are never alone

Hutlins:Huntlins are goblins who will trade items with you living in their huts. You give them something they give you something.

Hitlins: Goblins fed up with being slaves if you walk near them you'll be swarmed.

Hobgoblins: Large goblins wielding clubs, they often lead their Hitlins into battle. Be careful... they arnt to nice... but stupid.

The Arsenal:In light of its name the arsenal is a large Minotaur far bigger then a normal one sporting 4 arms. With its two minor arms shoots crossbows and its top arms it hits with swords, The Arsenal is not a foe to forget.
1varangian

Post by 1varangian »

I want to see human enemies.

Bandits
Evil Wizards
Dark Cultists
Legionnaires

And beastly demons from the Abyss.
thomson

Post by thomson »

Just a reminder: Folks, if you are proposing new monsters, please explain why adding them would enhance the game. Saying "because I like that monster much" is not a good reason.

Surprise attack creature - In one of previous updates AH mentioned swamps! That's fantastic news! I envision a creature that stays hidden in the tree roots, bushes or under water and barely visible, waits till the party moves and then attacks from behind. That would force the player to move slowly and carefully look at every root before moving forward. This would have similar mechanic to tentacles in LoG1, but with added mechanic that attacks only if the party is facing it backwards or sideways.

carnivore plant - We all already fought with plants. Sort of. Herders are just overgrown mushrooms, right? The trick here is to make two types of very similar looking plants. First one is common, harmless and is essentially a decoration. The other one, who is only marginally different, is vicious and flesh eating.

Lovecraftian monsters - LoG2 is on an island. Surrounded by a deep ocean. Who knows what creeps in its depths? Adding a deep one, ancient one or a similar monster would be very appropriate for the swamps level. How about a conscious monster squid? It could attack with its tentacles in many different ways. A side note to AH: Copyrights for H.P. Lovecraft's works has expired as it is over 70 years since his death. Don't be shy to draw ideas from his wonderful lore.

Minotaurs - Everyone had a minotaur in his party. Yet we never encountered any in the dungeon. Why? That's because every minotaur is benevolent and detests violence, right? :P Group of minotaurs could work as a bandits, demanding a ransom, e.g. a piece of weapon. A sort of trick or treat, extreme style :) Player would face a tough choice - give out a weapon or go through tough fight with little reward. That could bring in new inventory strategies. Usually people discarded old weapons as soon as they found a better one. This could make those less powerful weapons still useful.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
thomson

Post by thomson »

Not exactly a new monster, but rather new mechanics: the ability for different types of monsters to share the same grid, e.g. skeleton swordsman and archer. It would add an interesting twist to the fights.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

thomson wrote:Not exactly a new monster, but rather new mechanics: the ability for different types of monsters to share the same grid, e.g. skeleton swordsman and archer. It would add an interesting twist to the fights.
I like it... A nightmare to avoid bad and even impossible clipping with the animations, but it'd be neat if they could get it to work! 8-)

*This is faked.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

In addition to that, monsters larger than one square would be pretty neat.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
uggardian

Post by uggardian »

Neikun wrote:In addition to that, monsters larger than one square would be pretty neat.
Indeed, like a giant boss snake that zig-zags around the level.. :)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Might it be possible to add the official weighted skeletons in the Asset Pack for Grimrock 2?

With Grimrock 1 a modder could use the model, but could never import the skeleton; and would have had to completely re-rig the entire model & animation set to add even a minor change to what was already there. If the FBX (or other format) models were in the Asset Pack, then a modder could import one animation and customize it, and only add the animation file itself to their mod, and the official model would [could] work with it.

This would allow someone to (at least potentially) change the weapons on a skeleton guard; or add decorations to any existing monster in the game; basing custom monsters on the default ones, and still keeping the original animations for it ~with minor changes.
Leki

Post by Leki »

Isaac wrote:Might it be possible to add the official weighted skeletons in the Asset Pack for Grimrock 2?

With Grimrock 1 a modder could use the model, but could never import the skeleton; and would have had to completely re-rig the entire model & animation set to add even a minor change to what was already there. If the FBX (or other format) models were in the Asset Pack, then a modder could import one animation and customize it, and only add the animation file itself to their mod, and the official model would [could] work with it.

This would allow someone to (at least potentially) change the weapons on a skeleton guard; or add decorations to any existing monster in the game; basing custom monsters on the default ones, and still keeping the original animations for it ~with minor changes.
This is already supported in our moding tools, in wallasaurus maxscript - Imported model is skinned and nodes are there as well. You can take skin and use it for another model and the animations as well.
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

No access to Max; no interest in anything but a retail version. I've got Blender, but no way to import to it... Is wallasaurus' maxscript usable with Gmax?

Providing the files in an open format would open it up to import by more than just Max.

*It's unfortunate that Blender does not currently support animation import from .3DS files; and no import at all of .max files.