Download the game directly or via Steam?

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Andarian Fuchsfell

Download the game directly or via Steam?

Post by Andarian Fuchsfell »

Hello,

in half an hour the game will be available (I think so). So I'm asking myself what will be the right strategy for downloading. I preordered the game from the official page, got my link and the Steam code.

The question ist: What seems better: Download the standalone client directly or download the game via Steam? Will there be any Steam achievements? What about further updates?

Greetings and waiting
Andarian Fuchsfell
Arech

Re: Download the game directly or via Steam?

Post by Arech »

Yes, steam will have achievements and that's the way I'm going.
antti

Post by antti »

All the versions of the game will have updates. Achievements are Steam only.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Andarian Fuchsfell

Post by Andarian Fuchsfell »

Well, I think I'm going the Steam way too. Perhaps the game supports central savings via Steam. And I hope the Steam servers offer a high bandwith, so the download will go very fast (in 5 minutes). :)

Thanks for the achievement-information.

Greetings
Andarian Fuchsfell
Arech

Post by Arech »

I mean I bought the game from the grimrock.net to support the very talented team, but I'm going to play the steam version rather than the standalone because of the achievements. :)
wooglah

Post by wooglah »

Arech wrote:I mean I bought the game from the grimrock.net to support the very talented team, but I'm going to play the steam version rather than the standalone because of the achievements. :)
This. Game can now be purchased directly trough Steam, but my copy is even now marked as "Not yet released". More waiting :(
schallmau3r

Post by schallmau3r »

Err how do i get the Installer download link? I got the steam key in an email but where is the DL Link to the standalone installer?
CodingGorilla

Post by CodingGorilla »

Anyone have any idea when it will be available from Steam? I'm debating downloading the direct installer, but I'd rather use Steam, but at the same time I'm too impatient to wait! :D
Kenokam

Post by Kenokam »

schallmau3r wrote:Err how do i get the Installer download link? I got the steam key in an email but where is the DL Link to the standalone installer?
If you go to the same page that gave you your steam key, you'll find that it has been updated with a standalone download.
CodingGorilla wrote:Anyone have any idea when it will be available from Steam? I'm debating downloading the direct installer, but I'd rather use Steam, but at the same time I'm too impatient to wait! :D
If you're not too concerned with achievements and your playtime being tracked, I'd say go ahead and use the standalone. Once Valve finally gets things working, you should be able to patch over your saves with a simple drag and drop.
CodingGorilla

Post by CodingGorilla »

Kenokam wrote:
CodingGorilla wrote:Anyone have any idea when it will be available from Steam? I'm debating downloading the direct installer, but I'd rather use Steam, but at the same time I'm too impatient to wait! :D
If you're not too concerned with achievements and your playtime being tracked, I'd say go ahead and use the standalone. Once Valve finally gets things working, you should be able to patch over your saves with a simple drag and drop.
I still have a couple hours before I get home from work, but if Steam hasn't gotten their act together before I get home, I'll definitely do that.