cant launch game windows 7

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
JohnWordsworth

Re: cant launch game windows 7

Post by JohnWordsworth »

I've run Grimrock with both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on a number of machines and never had a problem, so I doubt it's simply OS related. Some things to try to resolve your issue...

1. It might be worth setting up an entirely new administrator user, just as an experiment, to see if that user can launch the game through Steam. If so, it might be something in your core user profile that's got a bit messed up over time. You can do this through...

Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> Add or Remove User Accounts -> Create New Account

2. It could be possible that your anti-virus software thinks that Grimrock is a virus for some strange reason. If you have 'Heuristic Checking'. Again, just as an experiment, it might be worth just switching your Anti-Virus software off for a couple of minutes and trying to launch Grimrock.

3. Another thing in Windows 7 that can sometimes trigger weird problems on specific machines is "Data Execution Prevention". It's a security feature that prevents memory pages marked as 'Data' being executed as code. However, there are one or two occurrences where I have seen this go wrong and it prevents a legitimate app from running. Luckily, it's easy to turn this feature off just for a single app;

a. Control Panel -> System Maintenance -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> System Properties -> Settings -> Performance -> Data Execution Prevention.

b. In the DEP dialogue, select "Turn on DEP for all programs except those listed below" and then click on "Add Exception" and find grimrock.exe and add it to the list.

Not sure if any of these will work, but it's gotta be worth a try!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.