Cant find link for game!

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
antti

Re: Cant find link for game!

Post by antti »

troyau wrote:Anyone know how big the download for this game will be?
Around 700MB on Steam and the standalone installer is a little less due to better compression.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Akatana

Post by Akatana »

Around ~750MB someone told me it's smaller than 1GB so I think it's a good size :P
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Steam is US, so it has a US release time. If you're not in the US, 11th isn't necessarily guaranteed.
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius »

Seeing as you are quite delusional, you don't really deserve a reply MistressOfEvil, but you're getting one anyways. It's your lucky day!
MistressOfEvil wrote:

Pre-Order always been about getting the game the at launch date. Not the day after, and the small "goodies" are something id not mind being without cause its only there to incentive people that usually don't pre-order to do so.
You ARE getting it at Launch Date. It unlocks for you at the exact same moment as EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD. And this is the ONLY WAY to do it fairly. If we did it your way, then people in your time zone would be getting it before those in other parts of the world, and THAT is exactly the unfair extra time with the game you are describing. A simultaneous internet launch isn't something unique to Grimrock, it's been done by game companies for years now and is industry-standard. I'm sorry that you, in your ignorance, didn't realize this or think through the consequences of doing it your way- but your own ignorance is no excuse to trash the game developers who are trying to do right by everyone.

The spherical shape of our world and the placement of the sun in relation to our planet makes it so that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE will be inconvenienced by any simultaneous release. I'm sorry it was you, but that's no excuse to be nasty and demanding.
MistressOfEvil also wrote:
When you pre-order and they withdraw the cash from your bank account, that finalize a binding contract between you and the company. Were you pay up front to have it delivered on said time. (Now seeing its a small dev and the title is so special i don't bother doing shit about it) If they fail to deliver said product on said time, it is a breach on they'r behalf of contract.
I don't know what sort of crazy alternate reality you live in, but when a piece of clothing or a book purchased on Amazon ships 6-12 hours later than I expected, that isn't a betrayal. Furthermore, no, it is NOT a contract. It is a purchase. And there are terms to that purchase. And if they fail to provide goods in a timely fashion then yes, that is grounds for allowing a customer to make a return. But GUESS WHAT? As I said earlier, being off from THE RELEASE TIME THAT YOU MADE UP IN YOUR HEAD by a matter of hours is not grounds for demanding a refund.

If you really are an adult, I am truly sorry for whoever has to deal with you in your day to day life. You are spoiled, sheltered, and horribly nasty to people who are providing you with their product in the only reasonable way possible.
Stardog

Post by Stardog »

Have to agree that this is pretty embarrassing for the company.
You ARE getting it at Launch Date. It unlocks for you at the exact same moment as EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD. And this is the ONLY WAY to do it fairly.
The way to do it fairly is by choosing a timezone that's in the middle (GMT), and releasing it at 00:01 on April 11. And anyway, they shouldn't be so precious about releasing it at the same time globally. Release it at 00:01 in every country on the 11th even if some get it earlier, and nobody could complain, because the 11th was the release date. Now they're just pissing people off.

It's not exclusive to Steam. They should fire out an email to those in a timezones in the 11th with a self-hosted link to the download. This isn't Half-life 3. It's supposed to be a sharp little indie game, but it's getting a ton of bad will.
cokebottle

Post by cokebottle »

Stardog wrote:It's not exclusive to Steam. They should fire out an email to those in a timezones in the 11th with a self-hosted link to the download. This isn't Half-life 3. It's supposed to be a sharp little indie game, but it's getting a ton of bad will.
Steady on! :roll:

"Getting a ton of bad will"? Really? The two or three people who are upset enough to complain about having to wait a few hours extra should just chill. Who cares if it's 00.01 or 18.00 or even April 12th. You'll survive.

Also, your claim that no one would complain if some people got it before others is just wildly optimistic. The same kind of people who now complain about having to wait would write long diatribes about "being treated as second class customers" if they had to wait longer than others. Trust me, I know this also from experience.

Seriously, all we need now is someone claiming the situation is "a slap in the face to the whole community" and I'll feel like it's 2008 and I'm back on WoW forums.

Just chill, please.
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius »

Stardog, I appreciate you talking about this calmly, I was a bit irritated at seeing the made-up threats by 'Mistress'.

I understand your frustration- I'm eager too and, while I will get to play it on the 11th, I'll have to wait 6-7 hours after it's technically released to get my hands on it too... and yeah, that's an inconvenience.

I agree that letting people know what time on the 11th they intended for the release would have been a much better policy, but that said, I don't think anyone should be shocked that a game released on Steam is getting a Steam-centric release time- This is hardly a unique situation.

Similarly, I can understand feeling let down, but if having to wait an extra half day for a game is enough to generate 'a ton of bad will', that's a pretty capricious behavior.

Lastly, if we're all sharing our 'wish-list' scenarios for release, I'd rather have it be released mid-day where the developers are rather than at 12:01am, since I'd want the company to be up and able to respond should there be a release day hiccup.

We all have different wish scenarios, and I don't think it's fair to say that one is 'better' than the other, except that they could have communicated the one they were going with a little more clearly.

That said, I think that the devs deserve far more good will than bad, since they've revived a much loved dead genre and brought it back in great style.

I hope you enjoy playing Grimrock tomorrow, and I'm sorry for your wait- right now we all share in that eagerness.
MistressOfEvil

Post by MistressOfEvil »

Vesuvius wrote:Seeing as you are quite delusional, you don't really deserve a reply MistressOfEvil, but you're getting one anyways. It's your lucky day!
MistressOfEvil wrote:

Pre-Order always been about getting the game the at launch date. Not the day after, and the small "goodies" are something id not mind being without cause its only there to incentive people that usually don't pre-order to do so.
You ARE getting it at Launch Date. It unlocks for you at the exact same moment as EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD. And this is the ONLY WAY to do it fairly. If we did it your way, then people in your time zone would be getting it before those in other parts of the world, and THAT is exactly the unfair extra time with the game you are describing. A simultaneous internet launch isn't something unique to Grimrock, it's been done by game companies for years now and is industry-standard. I'm sorry that you, in your ignorance, didn't realize this or think through the consequences of doing it your way- but your own ignorance is no excuse to trash the game developers who are trying to do right by everyone.

The spherical shape of our world and the placement of the sun in relation to our planet makes it so that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE will be inconvenienced by any simultaneous release. I'm sorry it was you, but that's no excuse to be nasty and demanding.
MistressOfEvil also wrote:
When you pre-order and they withdraw the cash from your bank account, that finalize a binding contract between you and the company. Were you pay up front to have it delivered on said time. (Now seeing its a small dev and the title is so special i don't bother doing shit about it) If they fail to deliver said product on said time, it is a breach on they'r behalf of contract.
I don't know what sort of crazy alternate reality you live in, but when a piece of clothing or a book purchased on Amazon ships 6-12 hours later than I expected, that isn't a betrayal. Furthermore, no, it is NOT a contract. It is a purchase. And there are terms to that purchase. And if they fail to provide goods in a timely fashion then yes, that is grounds for allowing a customer to make a return. But GUESS WHAT? As I said earlier, being off from THE RELEASE TIME THAT YOU MADE UP IN YOUR HEAD by a matter of hours is not grounds for demanding a refund.

If you really are an adult, I am truly sorry for whoever has to deal with you in your day to day life. You are spoiled, sheltered, and horribly nasty to people who are providing you with their product in the only reasonable way possible.

First off, it's not a industry standard to go after Zulu Time, Activision, EA, Paradox, Cryptic etc etc etc. Have used digital distribution with unlocks separate for each timeline.
Id debate that industry standard is release according to local time. Which have been standard since lets see... Yea right since 10 years and still is today if you look on the majority of titles that have been released. (Don't even try to debate this since i made my livelihood on game-sales for a long period of time)

If I purchase a product i get the information that it will be sent according to X or Y timeline if its a online order of physical goods, Same normally goes for digital goods and unless specified other timeline then its your own timeline you are to expect the release to be (Streamed cinema, any major game such as SWToR, WoW, SC2 etc)

I'v pointed out in each posting as well that due to it being a indie developer i don't really get that bothered as if it was a AAA studio forgetting to mention that they go by Zulu time (to gain worldwide same time release) instead of the industry standard set by the most prominent company's and developers ( local midnight releases even online).

And what you call sheltered and spoiled is actually more that i dislike disinformation or lack of information, if you sell a product to a consumer you should give them the full information. Which people tend to like in the real world. That you are a fanboy behind a keyboard that obviously got no clue how company's are expected to behave and what is common courtesy in sales, is not my fault. You proven so by sinking to 2d grade name calling