Passage of Mournwind - World building and design

Show off your Legend of Grimrock art, fiction, music or whatever!
LocalFire

Re: Passage of Mournwind - Survival tree

Post by LocalFire »

So its been awhile, not that this thread seems to being seeing much action. Anywho on to the next topic: the Survival tree

So this ones all about defensive and and other skills, ones that didn't fit into the others lets start with armour skills

ARMOUR PENALTY: So for this to work armour needs to have penalties to offset its higher defense values, as is I'm thinking light and heavy armour, as well as clothing, unlike Grimrock I'd go for overlap been the gear; so rather than clothing gives way to light and light to heavy, some clothing is stronger than basic light and some light better than basic heavy.

So HEAVY PENALTIES:
- Lowers mana and stamina regeneration; because of the weight for stamina and because of the armour blocking ambient mana flow for mana
-Higher attack/skill cooldown; again the weight, its a trade between speed and protection
-Higher Skill stamina cost; ditto weight you're not just swinging a weapon but all that plate as well
-Has high weight, obvious from above really, it weighs more so less can be carried
-Lowers evade chance, weight again
-lowers resistance to electric attacks, because its a metal suit (unless otherwise enchanted or something)

LIGHT PENALTIES:
-lowers mana regen but not stamina; still blocking the mana flow but less weight so no stamina penalty
-Attack/skill cooldown is longer, but not as bad as above
-pretty much as above in fact but less so, remove the electric penalty too, (unless the armor is mostly metal)

This leads nicely to skills for armour set up so you have multiple levels for each. taking the first level reduces penalties for both light and heavy, ditto second level, third drops the heavy further but nulls the light penalty; it would also start to give bonuses to characthers wearing clothing instead of armour so there is some sense in grabbing these for other characthers too (such as mages)

So skills like

MOBILITY (passive): allows the character to move move freely in armor
-reduces/removes/enhances cooldown penalty (as above depends on the armor class and skill level)

FULL PLATE (passive): gives a bonus to defence if the character is wearing all heavy/light armour

ARMOUR TRAINING (passive): your character is used to wearing armor
-reduces/removes/enhances stamina regen penalty (level 1,2,3)
-same for skill stamina cost (level 2,3)
-reduces the weight of WORN armor (level 3)

BATTLE MAGE (passive): Your characters ability to harness mana is great enough to overcome the blocking effect of armor
-reduce/remove/enhance the mana regen penalty

So that about covers it, I know it says enhance penalty but you get my meaning, the enhance for clothing only comes at level 3, and no skill to help cancel evade chance, thats the price high defence or higher evade
My Dungeons
Paths of the Earth: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5136
Beneath the Sands: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5216
Videos: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5443
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

Next on the tree some random skills, I mentioned before things like ropes etc heres some skills

RECOVER ROPE (skill): recovers a rope so you don't have to climb back up and untie it , obviously it stops you from climbing back if you use this skill

FEATHERFALL (passive): lowers damage from falling/traps, could be useful or not

BODY AND SOUL (mode): when toggled switch mana and stamina pools (mana used for skills and stamina for spells) this would help add a new reserve for warriors or mages)

BEYOND THE LIMIT (passive): a (low) chance to shrug off a deathblow

MORENS SHELL (Spell): a force field, absorbs a set amount of damage (dependent on casters stats) or prevents a deathblow from killing (eg. a character has 60 hp and is hit for 120 damage, the shield breaks and health is reduces to 1)

MYSTICS LAMP (spell): Creates a magical light on the spot its cast, lights up an area but also draws in any nearby monsters (so can be used as a decoy)

DARKSIGHT (spell): grants you the ability to see in the dark, without the usual sideeffects of a lamp or torch (which I will explain below)

DARKLAMP (passive): a basic enchantment of illusion, conceals the light sources carried by this character from monsters

So I should explain about lights, so there are 3 types torches, lamps and magical lights, torches are common but once used are spent, lamps less common but can be refilled with oil, last magic lights are rare but have infinite fuel. Next up is the penalty, an open light draws enemies and extends there sight range (each monster has a sight range and being outside that that range would be the same as being invisible, the monster will not react to you, but a light extends the range on any monster)

So there you have it I'll probably add some shield skills to the list when I think of them or if anyone suggests some
My Dungeons
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

So more stuff for the survival tree

SURPRISE ATTACK (passive): Deal bonus damage on an unaware monster, so as above where I said monsters can only see a certain range, if an attack from a player with this skill hits from a square outside that sight range it deals bonus damage

SHIELD EXPERT (Passive): increase stats for shields, pretty basic, has multiple levels

DEFENSIVE STANCE (mode): toggle to boost defense at the cost of attack (unless with the skill form the long weapon tree above)

SPRINT (mode): toggle to increase speed (move and attack) but moving will cause stamina drain while active, also increase stamina cost of skills

SHIELD WALL (passive): Grants the basic shield stats of the neighbouring characters to the character with this skill, only the one with the skill gets a bonus and only if the other party member in their row has a shield, they do not gain any magical effects from the other members shields (like resistances or stat boosts)

Short but it fills out the survival tree nicely I think
My Dungeons