Might and Magic 10

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
eispfogel

Re: Might and Magic 10

Post by eispfogel »

I also think that this is a shared inventory.
Man 2013 is going to be a nice year. Grimrock with its nice dungeon crawling and MML with that adventurelike overworld exploring and some dungeons. ahhh good times ahaed :)
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Komag wrote:Yeah, it's looking pretty nice!

How much you wanna bet they have ALL played Grimrock, if only to learn from the best!
They wouldn't need to play Grimrock at all to make a good Might & Magic game. They'd just have to play the previous games in the series. There's of course some similarities, in that it's a first person party-based RPG, but to name some major differences:

- Open world to explore rather than a huge dungeon crawl.
- Turn-based combat rather than real-time.
- Free movement rather than tile-based.
- No front row/back row for party - everyone's in front (IIRC)
- Not a survival game. (Not sure if there's even food)
- More focus on questing and story.
- Non-combatant NPCs and stores.
- Cheesy aliens are behind it all.

I do hope they've played Grimrock because it's not something you want to miss out on, but it's not really needed to make a great Might & Magic game :)
Komag

Post by Komag »

I'm sure you're right that it's possible to do that without playing Grimrock, but I'd still bet they all have 8-)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Yeah, I don't like when games with different feels try to imitate each other.
It's pretty much ruined stealth games. I might otherwise like them, but none of them can seem to get by without having to copy terrible ideas.

I like(love) grimrock, but I would not play a Might and Magic if it copied Grimrock.
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

From another gameplay video it's actually pretty obvious they're doing a completely tile-based approach to movement, like in Grimrock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4IxhUtZlgY

Don't really mind this, either. The game looks quite beautiful, too.
Komag

Post by Komag »

that looks really good!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
adrian80

Post by adrian80 »

Wow, that looks exactly like MM3-MM5 with modern graphics. What else can you ask for? :P
Jaelus

Post by Jaelus »

I got to play Might and Magic X Legacy at PAX East this year. The demo was fairly short but it exceeded my expectations. Definitely a must buy for me when it's released.
Greco

Post by Greco »

Ixnatifual wrote:From another gameplay video it's actually pretty obvious they're doing a completely tile-based approach to movement, like in Grimrock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4IxhUtZlgY

Don't really mind this, either. The game looks quite beautiful, too.
Might & Magic I up to V, which for me where the best of the series were tile-based, exactly like every old school rpg. Free movement was adopted from M&M VI and afterwards. So I suppose Might & Magic goes back to its very best roots. Great news! Hope that it will be comparable with its old ancestors, because, to paraphrase a greek quote, Might & Magic is "a game heavy like history", meaning that it is a very historical game.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Yeah I played only the later ones, so I didn't realise the earlier ones were tile-based.