Spiders? D:

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Lemony Lime

Re: Spiders? D:

Post by Lemony Lime »

Hey, if they can turn them into crabs instead of spiders, I'd be fine with that. Crabs don't bother me in the slightest. (Neither do Scorpions, which are also Arachnids, and look very similar to spiders... I don't get it either. lol)

In the case of Skyrim, someone simply swapped the spider meshes with bear meshes before any modding software was released... so all the spiders looked like bears with no animation whatsoever. Surely something like that would be possible. I just want to make sure I'm going to actually be able to play the game before I buy it. lol
Mackinstyle

Post by Mackinstyle »

People really need to accept the existence of arachnophobia. You may never understand it, but accept that people have it. Despite how irrational it is to you, you can't just tell someone that they're digital spiders or just to suck it up.

Interesting how we laud the Grimrock Guys for the mouse controls for a disabled gamer (and classic style), but it sucks that they can't make it accessible to other disabilities. Not saying they're wrong or bad or lazy. I just think it's an interesting topic worthy of discussion. There are a ton of disabilities and we can only reasonably make games accessible to so many people. My girlfriend will never play a kinect game. Kinda sucks but that's just life for her.
Lemony Lime

Post by Lemony Lime »

TBH, virtual spiders are much worse than real ones to me. They're so big and detailed, and often jump in your face, and wiggle around when they die, and... I better stop there for my own sake. I'm not at all afraid of the spiders hurting me, (In fact, I'm actually rather fearless. Amnesia didn't bother me in the slightest, and that's supposedly the scariest thing ever.) it's just that my brain, like... rejects the sight of them. (Gonna steal a metaphor from another thread on this site that I just found.) "You could compare it to looking at someone being eaten alive. You would be disgusted, you could not make yourself look at it, your whole body would start trembling just from the thought of it because it's so horrific. That's what arachnophobia is like for me and I guess lots of other people too. It's not a fear that the spider is going to do something to me, it's that I can't bear to look at them." Not my words, but 100% true for me.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

The treatment of arachnophobia is called "systematic desensitisation".

With the help of a therapist, the sufferer will slowly learn to face their fears. First they will be exposed to pictures of spiders. Later they will come face to face with real spiders. When they are able to hold a live spider without feeling anxious, they will have conquered their phobia.

Advancements in technology have added a new dimension to the treatment of arachnophobics: virtual reality. Now the patient can wear a VR helmet or glasses with a VR glove. With the help of a computer generated spider, they can steadily overcome their fear, moving the VR glove closer until they can "feel" the spider crawl across their hand.

Disabled World - Arachnophobia can be triggered by the mere thought of a spider or even by a picture of one in some cases: http://www.disabled-world.com/health/ne ... z1ri8bxf31
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Mackinstyle wrote: Interesting how we laud the Grimrock Guys for the mouse controls for a disabled gamer (and classic style), but it sucks that they can't make it accessible to other disabilities. Not saying they're wrong or bad or lazy. I just think it's an interesting topic worthy of discussion. There are a ton of disabilities and we can only reasonably make games accessible to so many people.
As you say "we can only make games accessible to so many people."
So why only pick on Arachnophobia?
What about Ophidiophobia-fear of snakes, Acrophobia-fear of heights, Astraphobia-fear of thunder, Mysophobia-fear of dirt, you get it? There is a phobia for everything.

Yes the devs are to be congratulated for making the game accessible for people with limited keyboard abilities (I am one) but how can they possibly cater for every other woe that people have in the world??

Oh I got it!
A great idea for a new video game.......turn off your pc and sit in front of the monitor.
Oops no good....doesn't cater for all those people with sore bum syndrome. :(
kbshadow

Post by kbshadow »

Good day!! I was looking through the dev sketches with my copy bought on GOG and couldnt help but notice a sketch of the options UI with a SPIDER slider in it.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Now you're just trolling :cry:
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

stubbie wrote: ...So why only pick on Arachnophobia?...
Because, it's the most wide-spread 'phobia'.
...maybe apart from acrophobia. But I never heard of people, who get afraid from playing flight sims.
...but what do I know? Are there people with claustrophobia who react on 3d dungeon crawls?
Last edited by Mychaelh on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lemony Lime

Post by Lemony Lime »

stubbie wrote:
Mackinstyle wrote: Interesting how we laud the Grimrock Guys for the mouse controls for a disabled gamer (and classic style), but it sucks that they can't make it accessible to other disabilities. Not saying they're wrong or bad or lazy. I just think it's an interesting topic worthy of discussion. There are a ton of disabilities and we can only reasonably make games accessible to so many people.
As you say "we can only make games accessible to so many people."
So why only pick on Arachnophobia?
What about Ophidiophobia-fear of snakes, Acrophobia-fear of heights, Astraphobia-fear of thunder, Mysophobia-fear of dirt, you get it? There is a phobia for everything.

Yes the devs are to be congratulated for making the game accessible for people with limited keyboard abilities (I am one) but how can they possibly cater for every other woe that people have in the world??

Oh I got it!
A great idea for a new video game.......turn off your pc and sit in front of the monitor.
Oops no good....doesn't cater for all those people with sore bum syndrome. :(
Arachnophobia is by far the most common fear there is, so it should obviously be the first to be catered to... but how about something like this: Have an option when setting up the game to disable any specific enemies that you don't want to face in the game. Just tick a box, and something else will always spawn in its place. That's something that the devs could easily do to cater to everyone, that would be really simple(At least, on our end... I don't know what it'd be like as far as coding goes.), and not intrude on anyone else's game experience.
kbshadow

Post by kbshadow »

There is a Spider slider in concepts so it seems logical