Save converter

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
glyn_ie

Save converter

Post by glyn_ie »

Recently I received a request for an updated save editor, however it's a lot of work to make the necessary adjustments, and it would be an on-going project to keep it up-to-date.
As such, I've decided to make a utility instead which will help people create their own editors or edit the saves manually with other tools.

Legend of Grimrock Save Converter: Version 1.0.1
Recommended HEX Editor: HEX Workshop

You can use this save converter within your own projects. Simply launch it with a shell command in the following manner (you can test it with the command prompt):

"C:\[LOGConvert Folder]\LOGConvert.exe" "C:\[My Documents Folder]\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock\savegame01.sav" -> Creates savegame01.dat in the Legend of Grimrock folder.
"C:\[LOGConvert Folder]\LOGConvert.exe" "C:\[My Documents Folder]\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock\savegame01.dat" -> Creates savegame01.sav in the Legend of Grimrock folder.

It also supports drag-and-dropping files from Windows Explorer. Just be careful because it overwrites .SAV or .DAT files without warning. (It doesn't force you to use files called "savegame", and doesn't check if it matches the typical save structure.)

It runs silently, and completes the conversion pretty much instantaneously, so there will be no indication that it was successful other than the files being created or overwritten. This is so it's not intrusive should you wish to implement it into your own projects. It does report errors though. This converter should also be compatible with all previous and future versions of the Legend of Grimrock save file format.
Jordan

Re: Save converter

Post by Jordan »

This will prove very useful in testing our dungeons of dooooom, thanks :)
slackmg

Post by slackmg »

Is the save converter still on-line? Or is there some secret way to use FileDropper?
glyn_ie

Post by glyn_ie »

Link has been restored.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Sorry for coming in late on this. But that link doesn't seem to work again.

Marco.
Augmenti

Post by Augmenti »

Thanks for all your work on this glyn_ie !

Any chance of getting this link fixed?
iudex

Post by iudex »

Somebody's got a copy saved at Google Code.
Augmenti

Post by Augmenti »

Thanks for your help, index!
Augmenti

Post by Augmenti »

I've gotten the .sav file to decomple into the .dat to edit with a hex editor. Yet editing the data is still a little odd, i.e. looking at any category Str, Dex, Vit Will or unused Skill points doesn't really seem to match on the file with the numbers in the game.

I've done some hex editing before, anyone familiar with editing Grimrock Saves?

Thanks for any tips.
CmdrArcturus

Post by CmdrArcturus »

Hi there... any chance that anybody out there knows if the save converter is available somewhere? The link provided by glyn_ie is no good, and I can't download the converter from Google Code. Thanx!