Character Generation 101

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Firing

Re: Character Generation 101

Post by Firing »

A question on which I would make sure.

Does the attack power enhances the damage from a distance with bows and throwed items?

Thanks in advance.
petri

Post by petri »

Firing wrote:Does the attack power enhances the damage from a distance with bows and throwed items?
Yes.
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

Can we get a clear definitive answer on custom characters?

I assume that you can't give a fighter some rogue skills by dropping some of the skills you start with in the character creation menu.
Lex

Post by Lex »

@Hissssa: Yes, you are right. I haven't seen any possibility to "drop" skills on review videos.

BTW: I wonder if we can have / earn more traits that 2? There is a lot of space /slots there but only two are used... Maybe they will be available only in expansions / other dungeons?
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Some other questions:
>> Are the level-up skill points always exchanged on a 1:1 basis? And are they always a set of 4?
>> Do you start the game knowing the first spell if your skill is good enough? Or not?*
>> Does reaching the appropriate skill level with a Magery skill give you the rune formula for the noted spell? Or just the ability to cast it?*

* = If its the latter of these 2, that seems a little pointless, as presumably you'll just flarp around with appropriate sounding rune combos in a safe area until you get it figured out (and later on, people will use Google-Foo to cast it straight away).
----------
I kinda hope the above is so, since I've got my level-up planning done on these assumptions now!

Lol, my Insectoid will be a massive dodge tank (+68 to Evade without equipment by Level 15!), and be cracking people with his +15/+11 power claw attacks. Yikes.

Human Fighter will be a more regular HP tank (130 HP, 18 in STR/DEX/VIT), probably with swords and heavy armour, though he's specced to not start learning weaponskills until 4th level.

The Lizard is a glass cannon, though still decently dodgy (he'll be abusing that +25% attack speed and x3 or x6 damage on his +7/+9 dagger strikes and have +32 EVD). Attacking from the back row commences at Level 3. Until then, he'll tag-team and switch out for a wounded front row guy if needed.

And our Mage will have 117 MP and lots of Icy power by 15th level. I'm wondering what those Spellcraft 5th level spells are... perhaps transportation? or healing even? But in any case they'll be picked up at level 2.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
Dimmey

Post by Dimmey »

Nice work !
Thx Lex :)
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

One more question (because it seems I get one answered if I ask enough :lol: )....

Do we ever get stat points on a level up or are those completely decided at the start of the game?
eharper256 wrote:Some other questions:
>> Are the level-up skill points always exchanged on a 1:1 basis? And are they always a set of 4?
>> Do you start the game knowing the first spell if your skill is good enough? Or not?*
>> Does reaching the appropriate skill level with a Magery skill give you the rune formula for the noted spell? Or just the ability to cast it?*

* = If its the latter of these 2, that seems a little pointless, as presumably you'll just flarp around with appropriate sounding rune combos in a safe area until you get it figured out (and later on, people will use Google-Foo to cast it straight away).
----------
If you watch some of the videos they show you what I assume are the 2nd level ice fire and shock spells. The first spell is just the element itself I believe and is basically a blast of said element. I'm assuming if you dump 4 points into fire you'll learn the first "real" spell. They said before spells would be locked out (at least in part by level basis if I recall correctly) and some can be found through exploration of the spell system or the dungeon itself. I am hoping each time you hit a "benchmark level" you'll learn one spell of the line but you'll need to discover the rest. I really hope they aren't gimping mages by making you have level requirements and a physical scroll to unlock the ability.

You get 4 points on a level up and start with 4 as a human, 1 as a minotaur or 3 as anything else. If you want assassination for a rogue lizard you'll be waiting for level 4 actually so you might as well put 3 points into something you can use until you can use assassination (or put them into something you want to use along side assassination).

Your google fu is weak sir. My first party... which will of course decide to pout and die in the first room will consist of Icy, Hothead, Blockhead, and Shocky. They'll keep casting away on combinations and inscribe their winning combinations on the prison wall. Then when the second party comes along the wizard will make note of these strange markings and remember them for later.
Lex

Post by Lex »

eharper256 wrote:Some other questions:

Here are your answer based on videos I saw so they should be 99% right :D
- you can not get more skill points by exchange them (if I correctly understand what you are saying) and I always saw +4 skill points per level
- no, you do not know first spell from your skill
- no, reaching skill level is not enough to spell to be revealed - you still need to find the scroll OR know the formula from your previous game OR discover the formula by "randomly trying"
Lex

Post by Lex »

Hissssa wrote:Do we ever get stat points on a level up or are those completely decided at the start of the game?
I've already answered this question - wasn't it for you? Anyway:
I haven't seen any possibility to directly increase attributes during game (= no gain of points for that) BUT you can non directly increase them by putting gained skill points into skills (example: by gaining second level in Athletics you will gain Strength +1 also)
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

I appreciate the effort you put into making the thread lex but I wasn't asking you to answer the question. I was hoping a dev would step in and make a comment.