Grimrock 2

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Komag

Re: Grimrock 2

Post by Komag »

Dr.Disaster wrote:Monsters got levels for a reason.
I'm HEAVILY making use of monster levels (among other things) to scale my entire dungeon for higher-level imported parties :) Thus a player can take their party they beat the original game with at level 14 or so and import them and still have a tough challenge.

But I agree, difficultly level should affect monster's more than it currently does I think, or differently, or something
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
pulpum

Post by pulpum »

I like the way magic is done in grimrock. you can prepare a spell before a fight, like in paper rpgs, consider magic as a difficult art, not an automatic way of making fireballs in monters heads. we can already have scrolls to throw a spell, it's good enough :)

I agree on the way we could get our characters back, and how we can get their stuff back too. it was a tricky challenge in dungeon master!
ad&d / ff / d&d
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Komag wrote:I also happen to agree that full darkness is way too bright in Grimrock 1.

I don't agree that it should be pure pitch black though. I think it should be maybe 1/3 what it is now, at least something though, some tiny ambient light to just barely navigate somewhere to find a new torch or something.

I fully realize that in a "real" dungeon it would be total black, but this is a game, and if it's going to be total black then I will hate the game and reload or something, I'll never deal with the total black because it would just totally stink too much and be no fun AT ALL.

But if losing my light still allows me to just barely see (but perhaps not be able to distinguish secret buttons) then I can live with it for a little while, knowing that I better go back over that room with a torch to check things more carefully later.
Okay, total darkness would suck. So your probably right, just really really dark.
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
kyogen

Post by kyogen »

Grimrock II is great news! Looking forward to it. Gameplay is going to be the main concern for good reason, but I'd like to add that I loved how elegantly minimalistic the narrative of LoG was. I hope for something similar (aesthetically, not strictly in terms of content) in G-II.
Greco

Post by Greco »

Regarding the healing crystals: I would not suggest to remove them compeltely, because in certain cases they can be handy. Though they can be made to allow a single use only and not being recharged infinitely. So If they are used once that's it. Now tis would be my primary desing decision. My second option would be adding penalty in experience points whenever used.
And I would like also to be only for ressurection and not for healing. Moroever another option would be to not apply their power on the whole party but rather on the specific members, by for example prompting you to select the party member that uses it. I think all of these are possibledeviation from the current approach, which can offer more challenge to the gaming experience.
Other things which I would like to see include:
1) Scrolls and spellcasting through them, for certain "emergency" cases.
2) No healing when moving around. I think that healing should be allowed only when resting or though magic and potions. It is far more realistic. After all, in real life you cannot heal when running up and down, you have to rest or apply medicines.
3) Why not allow for a ressurection scroll or spell. This would enhance the combat strategy since, the player would focus, on protecting their mages (which are also the weakest regarding armor), in order to be able to cast the spell later, if needed.
4) One thing I liked most in the Beholder's trilogy was the possibility to create a party in EOB 1 and go with it throughout the trilogy. Grimrock I, was probably designed without a sequel in mind and probably that is why party members could reach top level in many categories. However, history shows that this was not the case. So, perhaps, almost human should reconsider this approach and make Grimrock II considering that a Grimrock III would follow shortly afterwards.
5) NPCs that could join you and of course leave you as well (like in EOB)
Greco

Post by Greco »

Mike. wrote:
Greco wrote:
Mike. wrote:Hi i am German so forgive me please any spelling mistakes.
I really enjoyed grimrock but i would really like the following improvements for elder People like me for grimrock 2.
1. optional Button which Causes all Party Members to attack.
2. a Way that the Last runespell remains memorized for attacks.
3. an Easy Mode that gives more time for timing puzzles. The puzzles itself including how dangerous the enemys are should remain difficult but i hate the Action Part.

Greatings mike
I absolutely agree on (2).
(3) could be an option, because in slow machines with low frame rates, some timing puzzles in Grimrock 1 were impossible, whatever the reflection skill of the player was!
However, I completely disagree on (1). It would significantly subtract from the gameplay experience that such old-school games offer.
I remember only one game which offered this "all attack" option , EOB 3 which compared to the two previous installments of this glorious trilogy really sucked!
Thats why I meant optional button for 1) so that People can play without it if they wish. Otherwise turnbased combat would be an Option. But right now there is no strategy involved only the need to click fast. If my Fighter could first reduce the armor of an enemy with a special attack which my thief could use to poison the enemy with a poisoned dagger the frequence of attack would at least make some sense.
:D
Generally I am not in favor of optional elements, because most of the times they tend to be mandatory. It is what many say: if something exists why not use it?
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Come to think of it. If I had my way, the designers would make Grimrock so that it would leave you screaming in terror trying to flee the nightmare abominations raping your brain.
So I should probably not make suggestions.
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

How about a cooldown on turning around for the player, removal of it for the enemy and implementation of squaredance AI :D
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

The problem with that is that the player will be frustrated by the lack of response from his character. And it would get pretty annoying out of combat as well.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

I was merely jesting.