Textures.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Alaric

Re: Textures.

Post by Alaric »

Well, the reason I posted this initially, is because I felt that some of the textures look somewhat blurry at high resolutions.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/50576 ... 1C0B46F8F/

Take a look at the floor and the walls closest to the camera. (Make sure to zoom in if your browser resizes the picture.)

It's not a big deal, and the game still looks pretty awesome, just something to think about in the future.
Last edited by Alaric on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

They do look a bit... unsharp, if you will. Personally won't be bothered by them though, too busy with all the action and puzzles.

Something to look at in the future, maybe, unless the devs have bigger plans. After all, people aren't here for the graphics... or at least I hope so.
nackidno

Post by nackidno »

As long as they leave these kind of things open for modding (i.e the media is not stored in encrypted package files or the likes) then I don't think there would be a problem to fix the textures on our own. I know that Frictional Games' games do this, I once reworked the texture to look like the whole game was sketched, looked like arse though but that's besides the point.

btw, are the media in the game's folder openly accessible?
Everything is hard before it becomes easy
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

nackidno wrote:As long as they leave these kind of things open for modding (i.e the media is not stored in encrypted package files or the likes) then I don't think there would be a problem to fix the textures on our own. I know that Frictional Games' games do this, I once reworked the texture to look like the whole game was sketched, looked like arse though but that's besides the point.

btw, are the media in the game's folder openly accessible?
Afaik the game is made using Visual Studio 10, which encrypts all game data when debugged. You probably won't find any media in the directory in their original format.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Mameluk wrote:Afaik the game is made using Visual Studio 10, which encrypts all game data when debugged. You probably won't find any media in the directory in their original format.
That's not exactly true.. ;)

Visual studio is 'just' a generic development environment and does not, to the best of my knowledge, come with such functionality.. If it did, we'd see all sorts of words and excels come with encrypted asset packs ;)

Instead, developers can either use some third party pack file / virtual file system library, or (which happens more often than not) roll their own. This lib will then handle the compression and potential encryption of the assets.

Some of these are actually 'just' zip or rar files, decompressed to memory instead of disc.

Apart from the data hiding and neatness factors, the pack files are faster to handle than thousands of separate files - especially on spinning media, which explains their popularity.

Writing all this on iPhone was painful.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

My bad, I guess it was just for C# and XNA then. They have built-in file encryption to protect them from reverse engineering.
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

Mameluk wrote:My bad, I guess it was just for C# and XNA then. They have built-in file encryption to protect them from reverse engineering.
Obfuscation you mean? It's optional in .NET.
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

Alaric wrote:
Mameluk wrote:My bad, I guess it was just for C# and XNA then. They have built-in file encryption to protect them from reverse engineering.
Obfuscation you mean? It's optional in .NET.
Yes, usually they are quite optional. ;)

Let's not sidetrack this any further. Back to topic. No mentions from the devs, so we can only assume game files aren't accessible to us by conventional means.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Well, at least the test used a pack file, and I see no reason why the release would be different (haven't checked though). However, the devs have indicated interest in supporting modding, so.. Wait and see?
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..