Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Fabanjo

Re: Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Post by Fabanjo »

I have played and finished many Dungeon Crawler game, the most on my Amiga500 but my favorite are:

_Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back
_Eye Of The Beholder I & II (My favorite is the II)
_Black Crypt (The last Dungeon Crawler that I have played on my Amiga, simply great !)
_Captive
_Lands Of Lore (I have the CD version and works perfectly with DosBox :mrgreen: )

Other game that I have playing, this game are not a bad game but in my opinion not as good as the previous:

_Dungeon Master II
_Eye Of The Beholder III
_Dungeon Hack
synthetictruism

Post by synthetictruism »

eharper256 wrote:For me:

I was more interested in completing Millenium 2.2
Millenium 2.2 is easily one of my favourite games! Completed it so many times.

Never really got on with the sequel, Deuteros, though...
Welcome back brave adventurers.
It is too bad you did not discover the true secret of the firestaff. Now that I have it I have no further need for you.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

e8hffff wrote:LoG is clearly a Dungeon Master rip. Eye of the Beholder was D&D rules in a grid dungeon setting, wasn't it? EoB wasn't as feature rich as DM regarding interactivity and GFX.
It's a combination, it has for example DM's magic system, but a leveling system much closer to EOB's, it's definately a homage to both and borrows/improves upon many of the genre's features. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

synthetictruism wrote:

Wow, another Millenium player, that's rare. I've also completed it at least a dozen times. Used to have a guide on my Geocities Site, actually, before all of those were killed off.

Did a speed playthrough a few months back, actually (completed in just over 1 1/2 game years). I'm sure more time could have been shaved off; but most of that was waiting for Chronium to be mined from Triton and be sent back via Carrack, since I blatted the Martians with the Fleet Carrier by Christmas. :D

Deuteros is alright initially, but then you basically have to abuse an exploit with half-completed orbital factories to even stand a chance of not dying to the Methanoids, which sucks. (since you need to be able to build at least 150 odd drones to survive your first IOS vs. IOS battle, you can't build them before they declare war, and they require small quantities of a rare mineral that is only available from asteroids or Methanoids Trade). It becomes marginally interesting again when you first get SCG's, then the rest of the game is all the same. Shame really. Ironically, the game becomes more fun if you use the Pompey Pirates trainer for immortal battle drones.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
dndmatthew

Post by dndmatthew »

i really enjoyed and even once got :roll: suspended from school for playing EoB on my gameboy color in the back of science class. which was awesome because then i had 3 days to play it some more at home :twisted: . I also really enjoyed id software's Orcs and Elves. :D
MrAtrion

Post by MrAtrion »

I don't know if someone mentioned this game, but my first RPG Dungeon Crawler was... Black Crypt by Raven Software on Amiga :D I still play the game. The graphics and animations were astonishing that time. Then I got DM and EotB
Zander

Post by Zander »

Dungeon Master on the Apple IIgs is my favorite, nostalgia goggles have it looking great for me.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Dungeon Master..which I played on my Atari 520St...many many years ago. Fond memories.
I doubt this will give me the same feeling. Because when I played that game it was wondrous actually seeing the dungeon as you moved. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of games later. That thrill will be gone. But the nostalgic feeling will still be there. I am looking forward to it.

Eye of the Beholder was also pretty awesome also.
synthetictruism

Post by synthetictruism »

eharper256 wrote:
synthetictruism wrote:

Wow, another Millenium player, that's rare. I've also completed it at least a dozen times. Used to have a guide on my Geocities Site, actually, before all of those were killed off.

Did a speed playthrough a few months back, actually (completed in just over 1 1/2 game years). I'm sure more time could have been shaved off; but most of that was waiting for Chronium to be mined from Triton and be sent back via Carrack, since I blatted the Martians with the Fleet Carrier by Christmas. :D

Deuteros is alright initially, but then you basically have to abuse an exploit with half-completed orbital factories to even stand a chance of not dying to the Methanoids, which sucks. (since you need to be able to build at least 150 odd drones to survive your first IOS vs. IOS battle, you can't build them before they declare war, and they require small quantities of a rare mineral that is only available from asteroids or Methanoids Trade). It becomes marginally interesting again when you first get SCG's, then the rest of the game is all the same. Shame really. Ironically, the game becomes more fun if you use the Pompey Pirates trainer for immortal battle drones.
Mil2.2 was fantastic - I never worried too much about the chromium, as Triton was always the fifth SIOS I'd set up so I had a head start with it... Always sent a Carrack up there with it to keep the chromuim protected from attacks. But then again, I've never tried a speed-run :D

Getting enough silver was always my issue!

The other thing I'd do, is the first SIOS I make would be at one of the more useless satalites, so that I could just forget it. It was always the first colony that would get martian flu later in teh game, (that and mars) so once it got it, I'd leave it for the rest of the game, and hey-presto, no other colony gets the flu!

I'll one day go back to Deuteros and complete it - I know I have the pompey copy somewhere...
Welcome back brave adventurers.
It is too bad you did not discover the true secret of the firestaff. Now that I have it I have no further need for you.
stage

Post by stage »

Anvil of Down is one I really liked, and kinda reminds me of LoG :)
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/304/A ... +Dawn.html