[SOLVED] Invisible barrier?

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
vidarfreyr

[SOLVED] Invisible barrier?

Post by vidarfreyr »

Is it possible to make an invisible barrier, that hinders player movement temporarily?
Last edited by vidarfreyr on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balthasar

Re: Invisible barrier?

Post by Balthasar »

Yep. Open up a door model in the GMT. Delete the gate node. Add a new empty node called 'gate'. Save-As.

Then cloneObject the original door, using the empty model as its model and doorFrameModel.

The door will be invisible, but it will still block the party and monsters, and prevent attacks from passing through it.

Fun fact: You can still shoot fireballs through invisible doors built like this!
vidarfreyr

Post by vidarfreyr »

Thanks! Will try that. Strange that it should only allow fireballs through, any ideas why that might be?
Balthasar

Re: [SOLVED] Invisible barrier?

Post by Balthasar »

Perhaps the game code actually checks for closed doors to block movement and attacks, while the code governing spells actually looks to see if they collide with a physical object.
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

Balthasar wrote:Yep. Open up a door model in the GMT. Delete the gate node. Add a new empty node called 'gate'. Save-As.

Then cloneObject the original door, using the empty model as its model and doorFrameModel.

The door will be invisible, but it will still block the party and monsters, and prevent attacks from passing through it.

Fun fact: You can still shoot fireballs through invisible doors built like this!
I tried to do this with a pillar, it didn't work and crashed the dungeon editor. Do you happen to have a solution for how I can eliminate the generation of pillars in the Wall_set?

note: My walls don't make perfect corners, so I want to only place pillars when I choose to do so manually.
Balthasar

Re: [SOLVED] Invisible barrier?

Post by Balthasar »

Maybe it is the empty gate node? You only need it for doors.